Jessica Blevins's Reviews > Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know

Inside of a Dog by Alexandra Horowitz

Jan 20, 2011

Read in January, 2011

Great insight into the life of a dog...I highly recommend. The book is mostly scientific studies of how dogs really see, smell, hear and what they know about their human owners...but includes personal anecdotes throughout as well. I learned a lot about dogs in general and definitely look at my dog in a different light now. For example, I learned that dogs look to humans when they need help or can't figure something out...and that they pay a lot of attention to us, even when we don't realize it. I learned that my dog likes nothing better than to smell something new, so leisurely walks outside where I let him lead the way are important as are other ways of allowing him to smell new things. There's some practical advice in there as well (check out the last chapter) that I've been able to put into action, like hiding treats around the house to keep your dog from getting bored and to emphasize places that you want them to go and spend time in...and getting down on his level when you walk into the room helps to keep him from jumping on you...he just wants to look at you eye to eye.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside of a Dog.

12/13/2016 marked as: read