Carin's Reviews > Sarah Bishop

Sarah Bishop by Scott O'Dell

Jan 31, 2008

bookshelves: childrens, historical-fiction, young-adult

This book has traveled with me for 20 years after I originally read it, not because it was a favorite, but because it was by a favorite author. I thought this was one less likely to stand the test of time, but more likely to surprise me. And now I think it is pretty good, but not fantastic. Set in the early days of the Revolutionary War on Long Island (aka Brooklyn), the first 75% of the book mirror Island of the Blue Dolphins in a lot of surprising ways. Our heroine's mother is absent, father dies, her brother then runs off, she goes after him in a misguided attempt to save him which just gets her into deeper water. Then she has to live off the land with only her wits and a couple of animal friends. Of course unlike Karena, Sarah both has a price on her head, and isn't destined to remain exiled for 20+ years. The ending certainly is different, but in some ways it's unsatisfying. As this was also based on a real-life story, I wish there'd been an epilogue to explain how she ended up later in life. I felt a little distanced from the character, but I don't know if that's because it took me 3 days to read this instead of powering through it in one, or because it's YA and therefore a much shorter easier read (and a reread to boot). I always have a little trouble really identifying with characters when I only spend a couple of hours with them. But it's very well-written, the era details felt accurate, and I think kids this age can really never read enough books with strong independent female characters. Particularly resourceful, hardworking ones like Sarah.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah Bishop.