Cheryl's Reviews > Fortunate Sons: The 120 Chinese Boys Who Came to America, Went to School, and Revolutionized an Ancient Civilization

Fortunate Sons by Liel Leibovitz

1976749
Jan 20, 2011

bookshelves: academia, school, china, chinese, education, non-fiction, intrigue, immigration, boxer-rebellion, favorites, review-bn, review-gr
Recommended to Cheryl by: First Read
Read in February, 2011

Exceeded my expectations and then some. Highly readable, it is amazing to me how much I learned easily thanks to the superb writing of these authors. The incredible dedication of Yung Wing is an inspiration.

I found myself intrigued by the decisions that went into sending young children to a foreign country, awed at the sacrifice of their parents, appalled the incredible ugliness of how San Francisco treated its Chinese immigrants unfortunate enough to live there, proud of the kindness and care the New Englanders gave to the children they fostered and the quality of the education they received even though it was abruptly cut short and fascinated by the internal workings of the Chinese government. The tales of these young men, and their roles in the politics of the time kept me reading and thinking and reading some more. The intrigue woven throughout this book is spell-binding.

It was a blessed day when I was given the opportunity to read this book. It is unforgettable.

*Note: This book was provided through the GoodReads First Read program with the expectation of an honest review. My opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fortunate Sons.