Larissa's Reviews > My Life in France

My Life in France by Julia Child

20698

bookshelves: food-reads, memoir, non-fiction, vicarious-travel, 2015

Years ago, in preparation for a class project in a YA Lit class in library school, my professor asked me who my hero was. (The having of a hero apparently being a given.) I told her that I didn't really have heroes and she was aghast. "No heroes?" she asked sadly, before brightening just as quickly and asking, "What about Elenore Roosevelt?"

After reading My Life in France, however, I am happy to report that I am as close to having a hero as I've ever been. Julia Child: left-leaning, wayward daughter to her conservative parents, left home to pursue work with the Office of Strategic Services (the precursor to the CIA), lived in multiple countries in South Asia. Met the love of her life, with whom she shared a love of travel and good food, never had kids. Stumbled upon her life's work in her late thirties, learned a foreign language fluently (and several others semi-conversantly) in her late thirties, made a splendid success of herself in her forties. Had a wacky high-pitched voice to match her wacky, high-pitched personality. Could make fun of her height (over six feet) and her 'gargoyle feet' without seeming to feel secretly bad about those qualities. Clearly enjoyed her wine. Not embarrassed to be goofy. All about making a refined or otherwise inaccessible medium/field (French cuisine) accessible and interesting to a general audience without talking down to them. Self-motivated, ambitious, curious, unapologetic, and a big fan of making mistakes in public (that is to say, on air) and then learning to live with them.

Yes, I'd say that Julia Child is at the very least going to be my emotional-professional-spiritual guide going forward, if not simply being referred to as my absolute most favorite person I've never met ev-er.

Bon Apetit!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life in France.

Quotes Larissa Liked

Julia Child
“It's easy to get the feeling that you know the language just because when you order a beer they don't bring you oysters. (Paul Child)”
Julia Child, My Life in France

October 21, 2015 – Shelved as: vicarious-travel
October 22, 2015 – Started Reading
October 24, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015
November 3, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Nenia (new)

Nenia Campbell She seems like such a fascinating lady. I'd love to learn more about her. Great review!

Larissa Nenia wrote: "She seems like such a fascinating lady. I'd love to learn more about her. Great review!"

I think this book is a great place to start for sure. Glad you liked the review!