Tricia Mingerink's Reviews > A Time to Rise

A Time to Rise by Nadine Brandes

bookshelves: christian-dystopian

A more coherent review will be coming once I stop fangirling and can catch up on all the sleep I missed reading this book. Random note, but anyone know where I can get one of Sherrod's suits to keep me awake all day? Anyone?

Anyway, to sum up: IT WAS AMAZING! Literally dedicated all yesterday after work and into the night to read it because once I started I COULDN'T STOP. It was gorgeous. Painful. Heart-wrenching. Sigh-worthy. *excuse me while I go fangirl again*

*Updated with more coherent review*

After nearly a year of waiting for this book to release, I thought I was ready for it. After reading the first two books in the Out of Time series, I thought I was prepared for any and all surprises this book could offer.

I wasn't.

This book carries just as much of a punch as the first two books. All the characters have grown and changed since the first book--even, perhaps, the villain?--and the main characters have to struggle to figure out how to live the way God calls them to live.

The Christian themes in this book are very clear and uplifting while making you pause and think. The character development is very real and raw. The descriptions beautiful. The plot is a good mix between action (which is my personal favorite part) and character development, quieter bits. Once again, the book doesn't shy away from the raw and gritty realities of life, though this book, in my opinion, has a little less violence and grittiness than the previous two books.

And the twists and turns...any time I thought I had something figured out, or I thought I knew what was about to happen, a surprise would totally blindside me. Masterfully done plot twists!

This book, and this whole series, are ones that I frequently and highly recommend to Christians looking for action, adventure, a bit of grittiness, and a hard-hitting, make-you-think-long-and-hard theme.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Time to Rise.

Quotes Tricia Liked

Nadine Brandes
“But rest assured I'll win. Because I'm going to kill you...
... with kindness.
And it's going to feel really weird for both of us.”
Nadine Brandes, A Time to Rise

Nadine Brandes
“it's always time to live.”
Nadine Brandes, A Time to Rise

October 21, 2015 – Shelved
October 21, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
September 12, 2016 – Started Reading
September 13, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "Getting the ARC of A Time to Rise and being like: \n\nGoodbye housework,\nGoodbye sleep,\nGoodbye obligations\nI should keep. \nGoodbye emotions, \nGoodbye sighs,\nGoodbye while I read\nA Time to Rise.\nGoodbye all the characters \nWho might die.\nGoodbye to all the tears\nI will cry. \nGoodbye family,\nGoodbye friends,\nI have to see how\nOut of Time ends."
September 13, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "The end of chapter 8. Just...WHAT????"
September 14, 2016 – Shelved as: christian-dystopian
September 14, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Hannah Rodriguez I NEED THIS NOW

message 2: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Sky Me wants to read this series even more now ;)