Rosa, really's Reviews > Sweetbreads and Sweet Nothings

Sweetbreads and Sweet Nothings by Evelyn Esrig

Oct 20, 2015

bookshelves: mm-gay-fiction, can-t-believe-i-m-reading-horror

Near the beginning of the novella, Lukas draws a Mobius strip on his lover Bernhard's soft stomach.

Lukas: "I love this. The never-ending loops of eternity. It's complicated in so many cultures, but I like the idea of it meaning two bodies coming together to become one. It's beautiful, isn't it?"

"That--" Bernhard's voice caught in the back of his throat. His voice clicked as it reset. "That's a really interesting thought. Two separate people becoming one physical being."

"Yeah," Lukas agreed with a shrug. "I like the metaphor." He traced the line with his fingertip. "Two separate pieces make one whole unit. Kind of like us."

About a year after Bernhard suddenly disappears Lukas learns that his idea of "two separate pieces make one whole unit"-- is not two people building a life together, but willingly, happily, becoming food for a hungry, hungry cannibal.

Ugh. Ugh. That shit is FUCKED UP. (And yet parts of it are based on a true story--SOMEONE ACTUALLY DID THAT.)

And you wanna know what really creeped me out? It's not the idea of cannibalism, which causes a visceral reaction in us all (at least I hope it does) that sounds something like:

And it wasn't the grody scenes that made me want to:

I mean, it's really no worse than those early episodes of season 5 of The Walking Dead. Or, you know, almost any scene in The Walking Dead.

The creepiest part is that on one level you could read this as a love triangle. Between Lukas, Bernhard & Dietrich Luhrman, the Master Butcher of Rotenburg. There are some scenes in here that are so lovingly and romantically written I just wanted to

Again. THIS IS SOME FUCKED UP SHIT RIGHT HERE. And it's not blood and guts that make it creepy as fuck--it's the emotions. The fucking psychological scars Lukas has to deal with, Bernhard must have dealt with and I AM FUCKING DEALING WITH, M'KAY? Caused by someone's idea of twu wuv.

Oh god. I am sincerely impressed with this novella and how the author handled the subject matter but I am NEVER reading this thing again. Never!

I'm now going to hide under the covers with my dog, listen to R. Cooper's A Boy and His Dragon on audio and play Candy Crush till my brain goes numb. *nods*

Btw, I will definitely be following Evelyn Esrig's writing career after this. How will she follow this up? A nice YA romance between bear cub shifters?

****************************************
Holy shit. I just bought this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweetbreads and Sweet Nothings.

October 20, 2015 – Shelved
October 20, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
October 20, 2015 – Shelved as: mm-gay-fiction
October 21, 2015 – Started Reading
October 21, 2015 –
0.0% "I have nothing to say but....\n \n "
October 21, 2015 –
7.0% ""Life's not a fucking action movie, and you're not Jason Statham."\n \n Mmmmm...Statham....if anyone can make me forget about cannibalism...\n \n ...it's that sexy, bald bastard."
October 21, 2015 –
48.0% "Oh god....\n \n \n \n Somebody call my mommy. I need her to make me some peppermint tea and rub my tummy."
October 21, 2015 –
67.0% "Little Nicky is not impressed by my reading choice today.\n \n  photo 1d7a35c2-8c53-46b7-8ec9-4be339847777_zpsmrh06yzc.jpg"
October 21, 2015 – Finished Reading
October 22, 2015 – Shelved as: can-t-believe-i-m-reading-horror

message 1: by Meags (new)

Meags Dude! This sounds WHACK!

Rosa, really Totally, completely whack. I'm just REALLY curious. And it was on sale for $1!

message 3: by Debra (last edited Oct 21, 2015 07:11AM) (new)

Debra I can't wait to see how it goes! The only review I've seen said it's incredibly graphic.

R * A Reader Obsessed * Oh no you didn't!!!

message 5: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE This gif makes me feel all nostalgic, and a little sad.

Jennifer☠Pher☠ And you say you don't like horror.

message 7: by Sofia (new) - added it

Sofia Should I wish you luck or bon apetite?

Rosa, really Debra wrote: "I can't wait to see how it goes! The only review I've seen said it's incredibly graphic."

Ugh, Debra, NOT HELPING. ;)

Rosa, really R * A Reader Obsessed * wrote: "Oh no you didn't!!!"

Dude, $1!

Rosa, really Jennifer☠Pher☠ wrote: "And you say you don't like horror."

Is it really horror though? IS IT REALLY?

Rosa, really Sofia wrote: "Should I wish you luck or bon apetite?"

How bout both? :)

Rosa, really MLE wrote: "This gif makes me feel all nostalgic, and a little sad."

Yeah, me too, buddy. But he's just so funny. Look at that face!

message 13: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE Rosa, really wrote: "MLE wrote: "This gif makes me feel all nostalgic, and a little sad."

Yeah, me too, buddy. But he's just so funny. Look at that face!"

I know. I want to watch Tommy Boy now.

message 14: by Maygirl7 (new) - added it

Maygirl7 Dude. Just read the only review of it. *Eaten alive* Ick!

Rosa, really MLE wrote: "Rosa, really wrote: "MLE wrote: "This gif makes me feel all nostalgic, and a little sad."

Yeah, me too, buddy. But he's just so funny. Look at that face!"

I know. I want to watch Tommy Boy now."

Love!

Rosa, really Maygirl7 wrote: "Dude. Just read the only review of it. *Eaten alive* Ick!"

Total ick. But it's based on a true story! Some dude in Germany volunteered to be murdered and cannibalized. The whole thing was taped and he consented multiple times.

message 17: by Krissy (new) - added it

Krissy Sorry but have to butt into this discussion... I just wanted to add not only did this kind of thing actually happen the guy that consented to be eaten participated in eating his own dick (which was the first thing that was cut off and cooked).

R * A Reader Obsessed * Good gawd!
This discussion is horror enough!! Total wackadoodle!

message 19: by Maygirl7 (new) - added it

Maygirl7 Rosa, really wrote: "Maygirl7 wrote: "Dude. Just read the only review of it. *Eaten alive* Ick!"

I've already known that humans can do things I can't even begin to imagine but I still don't want to read about it. I started The Silence of the Lambs after seeing the movie (ps I know that isn't a real story even though by bringing it up here might lead one to believe that I do think that) and could not finish. Scared me too much. Even reading about the Donner party which was real has haunted me for years. Cannibalism is not for me on so many levels.

Rosa, really Krissy wrote: "Sorry but have to butt into this discussion... I just wanted to add not only did this kind of thing actually happen the guy that consented to be eaten participated in eating his own dick (which was..."

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Rosa, really Maygirl7 wrote: "Rosa, really wrote: "Maygirl7 wrote: "Dude. Just read the only review of it. *Eaten alive* Ick!"

Every once in awhile I just like to read something that I normally would stay far, far away from. See how much I can take. This one fall under that category, definitely. And I got it for $1!

Rosa, really R * A Reader Obsessed * wrote: "Good gawd!
This discussion is horror enough!! Total wackadoodle!"

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

message 23: by Debra (last edited Oct 21, 2015 08:41AM) (new)

Debra Rosa, really wrote: "Debra wrote: "I can't wait to see how it goes! The only review I've seen said it's incredibly graphic."

Ugh, Debra, NOT HELPING. ;)"

Wasn't trying. :p Seriously though, I NEED someone I know to read this. As much as I love f*ed up stories and can deal with horror just fine, I'm thinking this might just be my limit. Zombies eating people is fine. People eating people? I can watch it on or read it in The Walking Dead, but not sure I can actually read a description.

description

message 24: by Maygirl7 (new) - added it

Maygirl7 Rosa, really wrote: "Maygirl7 wrote: "Rosa, really wrote: "Maygirl7 wrote: "Dude. Just read the only review of it. *Eaten alive* Ick!"

I think I would have to be paid to read this now. I've gotten myself so wound up about it.

message 25: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen You are not alone my friend. The combination of the price and that totally whacked description had my finger clicking on the 'buy' button too.

message 26: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE Rosa, really wrote: "MLE wrote: "Rosa, really wrote: "MLE wrote: "This gif makes me feel all nostalgic, and a little sad."

Yeah, me too, buddy. But he's just so funny. Look at that face!"

I know. I want to watch Tomm..."

I love that movie.

description

Rosa, really Debra wrote: "Rosa, really wrote: "Debra wrote: "I can't wait to see how it goes! The only review I've seen said it's incredibly graphic."

Ugh, Debra, NOT HELPING. ;)"

Wasn't trying. :p Seriously though, I NEE..."

Never fear, Debra! I started....let's see if I finish. :)

Rosa, really Karen wrote: "You are not alone my friend. The combination of the price and that totally whacked description had my finger clicking on the 'buy' button too."

Exactly, Karen!

Rosa, really MLE wrote: "Rosa, really wrote: "MLE wrote: "Rosa, really wrote: "MLE wrote: "This gif makes me feel all nostalgic, and a little sad."

I know...."

Me too.

That's not toward you, of course, it's for your sinus infection. It can go fuck itself!

Jennifer☠Pher☠ Rosa, really wrote: "Jennifer☠Pher☠ wrote: "And you say you don't like horror."

Is it really horror though? IS IT REALLY?"

Um, well, um, reading through the comments my answer is YES!!!

message 31: by Sofia (new) - added it

Sofia

message 32: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE Rosa, really wrote: "MLE wrote: "Rosa, really wrote: "MLE wrote: "Rosa, really wrote: "MLE wrote: "This gif makes me feel all nostalgic, and a little sad."

Yeah, me too, buddy. But he's just so funny. Look at that fac..."

Thank you.

Rosa, really Sofia wrote: ""

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Rosa, really Jennifer☠Pher☠ wrote: "Rosa, really wrote: "Jennifer☠Pher☠ wrote: "And you say you don't like horror."

Is it really horror though? IS IT REALLY?"

Um, well, um, reading through the comments my answer is YES!!!"

I'm gonna nitpick. Cuz that's what I do, yo. Doesn't horror usually have a supernatural element? Ghosts? Zombies? Cephalopod shifters?

message 35: by Debra (last edited Oct 21, 2015 09:07AM) (new)

Debra Rosa, really wrote: "Jennifer☠Pher☠ wrote: "Rosa, really wrote: "Jennifer☠Pher☠ wrote: "And you say you don't like horror."

Is it really horror though? IS IT REALLY?"

Um, well, um, reading through the comments my ans..."

To me horror doe not have to be supernatural. It's the intense fear it evokes. To me a film like Psycho is horror and it's not supernatural. More so in writing, like Edgar Allen Poe it doesn't have to be supernatural, but has to have you feeling intense fear of what's to come.

Rosa, really Oh yeah, that's a really good point, Debra. Psycho is a good example. Yeah, see, this is why I have to admit I do like some horror. I love serial killers!

Okay, FINE, Jen, I'M READING FUCKING HORROR!!!!

Happy?!

message 37: by Debra (new)

Debra Rosa, really wrote: "Oh yeah, that's a really good point, Debra. Psycho is a good example. Yeah, see, this is why I have to admit I do like some horror. I love serial killers!

Okay, FINE, Jen, I'M READING FUCKING HOR..."

If you want some good m/m serial killing I recently read two good ones by John Inman - Sunset Lake and A Hard Winter Rain.

Rosa, really Debra wrote: "Rosa, really wrote: "Oh yeah, that's a really good point, Debra. Psycho is a good example. Yeah, see, this is why I have to admit I do like some horror. I love serial killers!

Okay, FINE, Jen, I'..."

Yeah, he's good but sometimes his romance is a bit much for me. I have to be in the right mood. But I'll add them to my list! :)

Jennifer☠Pher☠ Rosa, really wrote: "Oh yeah, that's a really good point, Debra. Psycho is a good example. Yeah, see, this is why I have to admit I do like some horror. I love serial killers!

Okay, FINE, Jen, I'M READING FUCKING HOR..."

I am amazed daily the amount of happiness you bring me.

Debra! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Rosa, I think the supernatural shit is what scares you. Hence our Willow Man debacle.

Jennifer☠Pher☠ Debra wrote: "Rosa, really wrote: "Oh yeah, that's a really good point, Debra. Psycho is a good example. Yeah, see, this is why I have to admit I do like some horror. I love serial killers!

Okay, FINE, Jen, I'..."

OMG! I just mentioned John Inman too!!! I met him when I was in San Diego and he signed a book for me. He was there as a reader and not an author. He was so cool.

message 41: by Debra (new)

Debra Jennifer☠Pher☠ wrote: "Debra wrote: "Rosa, really wrote: "Oh yeah, that's a really good point, Debra. Psycho is a good example. Yeah, see, this is why I have to admit I do like some horror. I love serial killers!

Okay,..."

That's so cool Jennifer! Wish I could go to GRL one day. :)

The two John Inman's I mentioned are not paranormal. I've only read one of his romance books which was very different from the darker stories.

Jennifer☠Pher☠ Debra wrote: "Jennifer☠Pher☠ wrote: "Debra wrote: "Rosa, really wrote: "Oh yeah, that's a really good point, Debra. Psycho is a good example. Yeah, see, this is why I have to admit I do like some horror. I love ..."

I hadn't heard of the Winter one so I just added it. I seem to lean more towards his horror types and not so much his contemporary. Sunset was awesome.

Rosa, really Maybe we should BR the other one, Jen. Give it another go!

Jennifer☠Pher☠ Rosa, really wrote: "Maybe we should BR the other one, Jen. Give it another go!"

I'm game. I'll need hand holding with the whole hustler aspect!

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky, and B*tchy ⚓️ Steamy Reads Good thing you live far from me or I would totally steal your dog.

Rosa, really Yeah, good thing, otherwise I'd have to take my earrings out, shout "it's go time!" and punch you in the throat.

Lol, just kidding! I don't even wear earrings. >:D

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky, and B*tchy ⚓️ Steamy Reads Well I have enough piercings for both of us.

And I'm a fucking ninja, so watch out.

Rosa, really I'm really not.

message 49: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara Nice review.

I have that same part highlighted in the beginning. It was like some creepy foreshadowing and while sort of romantic, sort of sick. Parts are way too intimate and I need brain bleach. I am almost done with it but I had the same reaction to the first episodes of TWD season 5 as I do this, I watched those through my fingers and read parts of this the same way .

Rosa, really Thanks, Sara. (view spoiler)

« previous 1