Ronyell's Reviews > Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems

Jan 19, 2011

bookshelves: animal-books, mo-willems, children-s-book, my-blog-reviews, picture-book, 1001-children-s-books
Read in January, 2011

I have read many books by Mo Willems that have been honored with the Caldecott Honor award, which included the “Knuffle Bunny” series. Now I have recently read “Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!” which is actually Mo Willems’ first children’s book and is a Caldecott Honor book and it is about how the Pigeon keeps asking the audience if he could drive the bus after the bus driver leaves to run an errand. “Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!” is truly a memorable book that children can read over and over again!

At the beginning of the book, a bus driver comes by and tells the audience that he has to leave to do something, but before he leaves, he warns the audience, “DON’T LET THE PIGEON DRIVE THE BUS!” After the bus driver leaves, the pigeon comes by and starts asking the audience if he could drive the bus.

Wow! I never would have thought that a book a pigeon just asking the audience if he can drive the bus throughout the book would be so interesting to read! Mo Willems has done an awesome job at both illustrating and writing this book about the pigeon asking everyone if he could drive the bus. What I found so interesting about this book was the fact that the only illustrations shown in this book were mainly of a blue pigeon and a bus driver in a grey and green uniform who only shows up at the beginning and end of the book, but Mo Williems did a great job at making this book extremely hilarious by giving out different expressions for the pigeon which ranges from excitement to anger. Mo Williem’s writing is extremely simple yet witty at the same time as it goes to show that you do not have to have long sentences to make a great book! What I really loved about Mo Williems’ writing is the dialogue that the Pigeon is given as it is hilarious and witty to listen to and my favorite quotes from the pigeon were, “Pigeon at the Wheel!” and “No? I never get to do anything!”

All in all, “Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!” is truly one unique and hilarious children’s book that every child who love witty humor will definitely get a kick out of it! I would recommend this book to children ages three and up since there is nothing inappropriate in this book and the format is simple enough for small children to understand.

Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!.

02/27/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha You seem to have read many of his books, but have you ever read his highly artistically written autobiographical accounts of his southern European travels called You Can Never Find a Rickshaw When It Monsoons"? Highly entertaining.

Ronyell Samantha wrote: "You seem to have read many of his books, but have you ever read his highly artistically written autobiographical accounts of his southern European travels called You Can Never Find a Rickshaw When ..."

No, I haven't read that book before, but it sounds good! I'll have to add it to my TBR list!

Satia I love this book and his children's books. And thank you Samantha because now I will seek this travel book out as well. He's brilliant. Ronyell, you bring up a brilliant point because, yeah, who would think a pigeon asking to drive a bus over and over again would be so amusing and yet it is. His books are just charming and I love how children naturally engage and interact with the text. A child developing a relationship with a book? Can you ask for anything more?

Ronyell Satia wrote: "I love this book and his children's books. And thank you Samantha because now I will seek this travel book out as well. He's brilliant. Ronyell, you bring up a brilliant point because, yeah, who..."

Yeah! Mo Willems just knows how to make picture books so clever for children and let them engage in the characters! We definitely need more children's books like this!

message 5: by Sun Woong (new)

Sun Woong Oh Your long comment attracted me, and it is worth of. I'd like to try book as well.

Ronyell Sun Woong wrote: "Your long comment attracted me, and it is worth of. I'd like to try book as well."

Thanks! It's definitely worth reading!!!

Nadia Lucia Melo I love this book it's pretty funny and cool I read at second grade but I'm in third grade now

Ronyell Nadia Lucia Melo wrote: "I love this book it's pretty funny and cool I read at second grade but I'm in third grade now"

Yeah, I agree this book was really funny!

message 9: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa haynes I love this book it's pretty funny and cool I read it in fifth grade but i'm in sixth now.

Tom Renner Amazing

message 13: by Lily Harrah (new) - added it

Lily Harrah mo willams is a very good Arthur/illustrator and the pigeon books are my favorite ones

Jessica pabon This is a amazing book

clifton hattett Can the pigeon reach the pedals?