Raeleen Lemay's Reviews > Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things

Furiously Happy by Jenny  Lawson

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction

Jenny talking about her mental illness was really impactful and well done, but the rest of this book didn't really work for me. It felt like she was trying too hard to be funny by throwing together random words to make the most strange sentences possible. This might just be how she always talks/writes, but I have never experienced her in any way so I wasn't prepared for that. I'll definitely give her first book a read/listen, and I sincerely hope it doesn't include the word "awesomeness" as much as this one did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Furiously Happy.

October 20, 2015 – Shelved
October 20, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
June 8, 2016 – Started Reading
June 8, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "The opening music and "Advanced Praise" on this audiobook is already slaying my life. I love this."
June 9, 2016 –
page 43
June 9, 2016 –
page 157
June 10, 2016 –
page 261
June 11, 2016 – Finished Reading
June 7, 2017 – Shelved as: nonfiction

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Kelly Blaine I think you should try reading her other book instead of an audio book. I read both of them and laughed out loud numerous times, I think this one is the stronger of the two.

message 2: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra I did not finish this one. I also thought she was trying too hard to be funny plus I'm not a fan of taxidermy and don't see anything remotely funny about dead stuffed raccoons :/

Jamie I really liked furiously happy and didn't like her first book as much. Her first book had even less of a consistent thought running through it and wasn't as interesting. It lacked a conversation around her mental illness and was just a bunch of barely believable stories. I listened to both as audio books and can't even imagine her books on a page

Olivia Vera So happy to find someone else who feels this way! It was my only dnf book this year, I just found it excruciating and cringe worthy listening to the audiobook. The narration might have played a part in why it was so hard to get through, but it just felt very erratic and not very genuine.

Michelle Aronoff McCullough Totally agree. I could relate with her on several topics but then at times she was just too out there for me and it started to get on my nerves.

Ta0paipai I picked up this book for its eye-catching cover but the promise it started with quickly faded. The takeaways were few and far between and most of this book felt like bad sitcom fodder, I could almost hear the canned laughter.

Devon Absolutely agree. You said it better than I did in my review for sure!

Kayla Jones This is the problem that I'm having with this as well. I started listening to it several months ago and I just can't do it anymore. It's just not good.
What she's saying is incredibly important but I can't listen to her speak

message 9: by Ad (new) - added it

Ad My sentiments exactly!

Ashley C. you captured exactly how i felt!

Kathleen Ditto

Susan I was thinking the same. I connected with her insight with mental illness. But, when the other subjects she talked about. Didn't do anything for me. I was looking for humor. There were a few and far between

message 13: by Josua Wikoff (new)

Josua Wikoff Thank God...I thought I was the only one who thought this book was crap...I picked it up for a beach read in Aruba...The first few pages made me want to puke. Somebody who is truly "crazy" does not talk about how crazy they are constantly! They are barely aware..Does she have some disorders? If she says she does I won't argue, but crazy she is not. It's like she's trying real hard to convince everyone she's crazy with contrived in-funny anecdotes. I'm a writer who has never written a book so kudos to her for that but it feels like most of it is filler. One of the reasons I've never wrote a book is because I'm afraid it will turn out like this. And again, kudos to her for being brave enough to put this horseshit out there. I gave it 3 tries...it's staying in Aruba!

message 14: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca I find that the key with this book is to read it in very small sections at a time. Her humour tends to follow the same pattern for every single joke, so whatever bit of brain anatomy responds to that particular type of joke gets fatigued very fast and the other bits are never accessed because it's the same type of joke again, sentence after sentence. Agreed that the philosophy behind the book and the mental health sections are wonderful and she sounds like a great person / koala / kangaroo hybrid.

message 15: by Stacey (new) - added it