Diane's Reviews > The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald

liked it
bookshelves: excited-about, audiobooks, bookishness, brunch-club

This is a sweet, charming story about what happens when a bookshop opens in a small Midwestern town.

The story follows the bookish Sara, who travels from Sweden to Iowa to meet her elderly pen pal, Amy, only to learn that Amy has recently died. The townsfolk try to make Sara feel welcome, and soon she makes friends. Amy owned a lot of books, and Sara takes the initiative to open up a bookstore as a way to share the collection with the town.

I'll pause here to say this is one of those cute, sweet books that it's best not to take too seriously. Ignoring all of the tax laws, estate laws, and basic rules of finance, it's delusional that Sara would be able to open up a bookstore in a few days' time without any legal hassles. Plus there is a wildly improbable subplot involving the town leaders pressuring Sara to get married and stay in Iowa, and some laughably incorrect regional and cultural references. (I'm from Iowa. Katraina Bivald is from Sweden. I'm pretty sure her descriptions came from inaccurate Google results.)

However, I tried not to let the silly details spoil my enjoyment of the novel, which includes fun bookish references and even a little romance. Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend.

October 20, 2015 – Shelved
Started Reading
July 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review!! :)

message 2: by T.D. (new)

T.D. Whittle Nice review, Diane. I like to read these sorts of books sometimes, especially in winter (as it is now where I live). This made me laugh: (I'm from Iowa. Katraina Bivald is from Sweden. I'm pretty sure her descriptions came from inaccurate Google results. :)))

Diane Thank you, Deanna.

Diane Hi T.D., yes, it's always nice to mix it up with a lighter, sweet read.