Tanya's Reviews > The Lady's Slipper

The Lady's Slipper by Deborah Swift

Jan 19, 2011

bookshelves: giveaways, historical-fiction, i-own-it
Read from February 08 to 11, 2011

And yet another first-reads win! I am loving winning books!

2/11/11
I really enjoyed reading this book; because I spend so much time as a genealogist studying documents from the 17th century, I loved reading about the time period. Almost every novel I've read set in Restoration England focuses on the court. This one is out in a Westmoreland village, and had a lot of great period details about common life. I especially liked the segments dealing with the Society of Friends, or Quakers.

BUT I have one major complaint, and this is a *SPOILER* - I found it completely unbelievable that Quaker Richard, who feels guilty that he's not more comfortable with rough clothing, and about destroys himself for using a weapon in self-defense, has no problem with adultery (keep in mind that this was punishable by death under Cromwell, whose side Richard had fought on during the Civil War). Obviously Swift just wanted to have her characters sleep together, and her scenes weren't even steamy. Don't get me wrong, I am not so puritanical that I can't deal with fictional people having sex. It's just that in this case it was completely out of character. It would have been so much more credible to have them stay chaste until they could be married.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady's Slipper.