J. Alfred's Reviews > The Problem of Pain

The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis

2038538
Jan 19, 2011

Much of this book is good but sort of nondescript for how good Lewis can be. With that said, let me note that my church has a list of "fifty books and essays the high schooler should read before graduation" and that Lewis' "Weight of Glory" and "The Inner Ring" are both on that list. I'm happy with both of these things. Now. I feel like, if there was a "hundred extra-biblical books and essays a Christian should read," the last chapter of The Problem of Pain, the one on Heaven, would be on that list. This chapter is like all the magic and mystery that Lewis finds in the Christian faith, together with all the charm and eloquence of which he is master, condensed.
"Your soul has a curious shape because it is a hollow made to fit a particular swelling in the infinite contours of the divine substance, or a key to unlock one of the doors in the house with many mansions. For it is not humanity in the abstract that is to be saved but you-you, the individual reader, John Stubbs or Janet Smith. Blessed and fortunate reader, your eyes shall behold Him and not another's. All that you are, sins apart, is destined, if you will let God have His way, to utter satisfaction."
Sigh.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Problem of Pain.

message 1: by Allen (new)

Allen Listening to the audio book during lunch or while on the bus. Good stuff! Vicki bought me a set of four audio books by Lewis for Christmas: The Problem of Pain, The Screwtape Letters, The Great Divorce, and Mere Christianity.

J. Alfred That is possibly the greatest present ever. I mean, for someone who needs to be on a bus a lot. Excellent job all around.