Sarah's Reviews > Churches, Revolutions And Empires:1789-1914

Recommended to Sarah by: Elisabeth Allen
Recommended for: History lovers

Age Appropriate For: 15 and up
Best for Ages: 18 and up

My dear friend and fellow author, Elisabeth Allen recommended this book to me a while back. When I saw it was on sale on Kindle, I snapped up a copy. I am so glad that I did.

There are few history books I have enjoyed more. Many books that try to give an overall look at time in history either end up being dull and dry or get so caught up in trying to make it interesting they aren’t helpful. This book was a well-balanced, well-researched work.

What was the church’s role during 1775 through 1914? How did it influence the revolutions and major changes that took place during these years? This book goes through the major events and answers these questions, drawing from a huge number of first-hand and historical sources. The bibliography for this book was huge, listing hundreds of titles.

I am a skeptic when it comes to history books. I go in looking for mistakes and slants that keep all the facts from being shown. This book passed every test I have, and I will hold it up alongside books by David McCullough and Allen French. While I know that the author is a Christian, he was upfront about the negatives the church caused and debunked some of the stories Christians have spread and credit for events Christians have taken that are not true.

I will be re-reading this in the future, and I highly recommend this book for those who love history, want to have a better understanding of recent church history, and high school students.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Churches, Revolutions And Empires.

October 19, 2015 – Shelved
April 18, 2016 – Shelved as: non-fiction
April 18, 2016 – Shelved as: on-my-kindle
April 18, 2016 – Shelved as: political
April 22, 2016 –
51.0% "This book is so good. Not a light read, but I am finding myself wanting to read this book instead of doing my work."
April 26, 2016 – Finished Reading