Melanie P. Smith's Reviews > Infinity: An Anonymous Biography

Infinity by Nico Laeser

bookshelves: reviewed

A tragic tale…darkly realistic

I will admit that I do not normally read this type of book. When I sit down to enjoy my downtime, I tend to gravitate towards romance, suspense or paranormal genres. Books that are light and entertaining. Infinity does have a paranormal element, but it is basically a dark tale of a tragic and disturbed child and his journey to adulthood. The author captures the attention of his readers in the first sentence. “I was seven years old the first time I died.” An intriguing statement that makes you wonder…where will the author lead us from there?

The reader is taken on a journey of mental illness, abuse, heartbreak, drug addiction, desperation and acceptance. We first see the world through the eyes of a seven year old child trying to understand the monsters all around him. As he learns to cope with mental illness and struggles to discern between reality and imagination, he becomes more and more dissociative and withdrawn. The book progresses and we are allowed a glimpse into his adolescence and ultimately arrive at adulthood. Amidst the dark reality of a life filled with addiction and abandonment the child becomes a desperate man who slowly fades into the background of life, then struggles to become ‘normal’ again. I found it interesting that as the character moves further and further into an anonymous world of homelessness and desperation, the main character is also anonymous. We never learn his name, only experience his journey.

This book is dark, tragic and at times depressing. The reader feels both anger and frustration as we learn of the difficult path this child must take to become a man. The one saving grace throughout is the character’s love of art. It is a positive light in a world of despair. The author does an excellent job of describing characters, paintings and the world this child/man lives in. Whether that is the confining room of a child, a playground bully or the cold, dark recesses of a homeless man’s shelter; the imagery is stark and vivid. The emotions feel real and the journey personal. Nico Laeser includes a quote from Leonardo de Vinci; “a work of art is never finished just abandoned.” This is also true of Infinity: An Anonymous Biography. This book was definitely not a lighthearted beach read. It is a thought provoking, multi-layered tale of discovery. If you are looking for something with depth, check out Infinity, I think you will like it.

Melanie P. Smith

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infinity.