Darth J 's Reviews > The Rest of Us Just Live Here

The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

Oct 19, 2015

liked it

So, since this got a bunch of good reviews, I decided to pick this up. Just my luck that Target would have autographed first editions of it:

The basic premise of this book is that the main characters here are the background players in everything else. The funny thing is that this story, while YA, makes fun of YA tropes and bloated subgenres like vampires or demigods or immortals and kids "dying beautifully of cancer". That's the whole joke about this book is that it's poking fun at how airheaded YA culture can be sometimes, how teens can mindlessly go after the next big thing and turn it into a plague that destroys their brain cells while parents pretend it isn't happening.

It's as if the camera were to pan away from Bella and Edward and start following Anna Kendrick and all of the other nobody characters (but without all of the tryhardness of IRL Anna Kendrick that gets really obnoxious). The Rest of Us Just Live Here is about the people who have to watch from the sidelines and are never part of the larger story, which is probably why this book is very popular: it speaks to all the people who weren't popular in school.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rest of Us Just Live Here.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Wow! You lucky thing!

Darth J Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Wow! You lucky thing!"

*whispers:* "It was also discounted."

:-D

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* J. wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Wow! You lucky thing!"

*whispers:* "It was also discounted."

:-D"

Holy moly. Sometimes I hate living in the boonies.

Darth J Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Holy moly. Sometimes I hate living in the boonies. "

And my Target isn't even as well-stocked as the other Targets on town. lol

message 5: by Elisa (new) - added it

Elisa Nice, someone has your back this week. :)

Darth J Yep, both Yoda and Dumbledore are always watching out for me hahaha

message 7: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Congrats!! I've always wanted to dive into Patrick Ness books but haven't been inspired yet maybe this book will get me excited to read it! I always love owning signed books because it makes me feel special and a perfect reason why no one will read them except me. I used to loan books but not anymore. I hope you enjoy this book and I cannot wait to see your review!

message 8: by Matthew (new)

Darth J Matthew wrote: "Congrats!! I've always wanted to dive into Patrick Ness books but haven't been inspired yet maybe this book will get me excited to read it! I always love owning signed books because it makes me fee..."

You might be able to pick up a signed copy at your local Target, since I doubt it was just a regional promotion.

message 10: by Matthew (new)

Matthew J. wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Congrats!! I've always wanted to dive into Patrick Ness books but haven't been inspired yet maybe this book will get me excited to read it! I always love owning signed books because..."

Since I always followed your advice and wisdom I took a trip to Target. To be honest there is only like two Targets in my city so I went to the one nearby my place and they had 3 copies only 2 signed so guest who has a signed copy? This guy! I've barely gone to Target since the only one available at the time was far away.

I cannot wait to read this book and thank you so much! If it weren't for you I would never had gotten this signed copy. Is it bad that I remove those stickers? I hate having sticky things on my book because it ruins it.

karen awww, j makes dreams come true!

Darth J karen wrote: "awww, j makes dreams come true!"

karen oh my god, i just went to MY target, and they had a couple left (literally - two) and one was damaged. and i didn't really neeeeeed it, since i have the arc, but i thought of you, and i said "the arc doesn't glow in the dark, karen."

so i bought it.

i wouldn't have known to check without you, so give yourself more magic points.

Darth J karen wrote: "oh my god, i just went to MY target, and they had a couple left (literally - two) and one was damaged. and i didn't really neeeeeed it, since i have the arc, but i thought of you, and i said "the arc doesn't glow in the dark, karen."

so i bought it.

i wouldn't have known to check without you, so give yourself more magic points. "