Bonnie's Reviews > Sarah's Garden

1208448
Jan 19, 2011

bookshelves: 2011
Read from March 02 to 05, 2011

When I picked up this book I expected another predictable Amish fiction love story – don’t get me wrong I love Amish fiction, but sometimes the love stories can be a little unsurprising if you know what I mean. I was really happy to find that Sarah’s Garden did not follow the typical formula. The love story in this book was more of a struggle, and also about the development of Sarah’s love for the Lord and for herself.

I was happy to find that as the novel progressed Sarah developed into a strong, capable and rather independent woman. She was strong enough to understand herself and her needs and was able to turn down a life that would have been comfortable, and what was expected of her in order to wait for the life that she truly desired. She had enough faith in the Lord and in herself to know that she did not have to settle for second best.

There were actually a few shining examples of female strength and independence in Sarah’s Garden that are not always seen in this genre and I really appreciated these themes and the ways that Long developed the stories around these women. I am immediately starting in on the sequel Lilly’s Wedding Quilt by the same author.

I give it 4*s / 5!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Garden.

08/02/2016 marked as: read