Sarah's Reviews > The Family Fang

The Family Fang by Kevin    Wilson

Jan 19, 2011

bookshelves: advance-readers-copies
Read from February 02 to 03, 2011

To be published August 2011.

I was thrilled to pick up this ARC at the HarperCollins Preview at Midwinter last month. I was the Alex Awards chair of the committee that put Wilson's Tunneling to the Center of the Earth on the 2010 Alex list. I loved its weirdness so I wondered if it would carry over to a novel.

Yep, it did! The Fang family is known for performance art--the folks are just strange and the kids are dragged along into the "art." So Buster and Annie did not have a normal childhood and now are dealing with the consequences. Buster writes novels, although not very good ones. Annie is an actress, but currently shunned because she walked around topless on the set and the pictures made it to the Internet. The two kids come back home to the folks, but then the parents disappear at a rest stop. Are they victims of a serial killer? Or is it another piece of performance art?

To give you a reason of why I love Wilson's writing, the reason Buster moves back home is because he is injured from being hit in the face with a potato launcher. I mean, really, it's like Arrested Development in written form!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Family Fang.

Quotes Sarah Liked

Kevin    Wilson
“That does not surprise me,' Annie said and once again hung up the phone thinking that she had chosen to surround herself with people who were, for lack of a better term, retarded.”

Kevin    Wilson
“What you'll find, I think, is that the things you most want to avoid are the things that make you feel the greatest when you actually do them.”

Kevin    Wilson
“Annie took another sip of the vodka, letting the alcohol seep through her system, turning bad ideas into good ones.”
Kevin Wilson, The Family Fang

Meghan How did you get an ARC?!?! I'm so jealous.

Sarah I think it was at the Harper preview. I was really happy to get it! I'm on page 152, and it's soooo like his short stories--strange family dynamics, strange characters, but funny as hell. Some of the other reviewers didn't like the ending, so I'm hoping I still like it after I finish.

message 3: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen I cannot wait to read this now.

Meghan Maybe Kayleigh will hook us up. ;)