Kristine's Reviews > Paint My Body Red

Paint My Body Red by Heidi R. Kling

bookshelves: netgalley, 4-star-rating

Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

** I received an advanced readers copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!**

This book is both dark and uplifting at the same time. Told in the now and then the reader follows Paige as she tries to find her way through a very traumatic and difficult time.

The story is told in the "now" which is obviously after something serious happened and Paige is trying to recover and move on from it. As the reader you don't know exactly what happened until it starts going back to the "then".Little bits are revealed throughout the story. I have to admit that I was really drawn to the "then" part of the story which also happened to be the darker side of the story. Don't get me wrong, the "now" was also good but in a more wholesome way.

I can really see young people liking this book and the characters in it. Although Paige was a bit of a mess I can see people liking her and relating to her. I know readers will love Jake and the budding relationship between the two of them. The family connection and Paige's relationship with her dad was also extremely moving.

I found myself getting a little emotional at different points in this story which surprised me. I wasn't expecting that and it spoke volumes. Obviously I was invested in the story if it moved me. At times it felt like two different stories altogether but somehow it came together in a very entertaining way. I really enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paint My Body Red.

October 18, 2015 – Shelved