Rollie's Reviews > Empire

2049248
Jan 19, 2011

it was ok
Read in February, 2011

I thought I could not finish reading this book. Not because I didn’t like it but because of my busy schedule. School work, feasibility study, exams and now we’re having a general cleaning. See, how can I sneak up just to read this? Fortunately, instead of resting, I read this book. Yay! Thanks to my reading buddy Juan este Kwesi Ian Jay who finished reading this book first. (his review)

After reading Ender’s Shadow and loving it; after hearing a lot of praises about Ender’s Game; I thought it was a logical leap to assume that majority of books of Card is great, if not, at least good. Once I love a book of a certain author, it tends me to look for his/her other works but, unfortunately, I think it wasn’t a healthy assumption or a best idea since I realized that my notion is a perverse of how this book showed me.

The fall of Roman Empire is an image of what United States of America leading to after the 9/11 attack. Between republican and democratic, blue and red, who is behind of everything when in a Friday the 13th day, White House has been attacked? The worst of all, President and vice president are in it and get killed.

When Major Reuben Malich shared his plan, hypothetically being a terrorist, under the class of Averel Torrent, he became an interesting student of Torrent. Malich met Bartholomew Coleman as his buddy and at the same day, White House had been attacked. After defending the White House, they were proclaimed as heroes of United States of America. But would Malich consider himself as a hero if he knew deep inside that the plan used in attacking the White House was his own?

I’m not living in a political world and never had any interest in any political issues. And surely, it’s one of the reasons why I haven’t liked the book that much but nor would I say I disliked this book.

Card is one of the sci-fi gods in someone’s retrospect especially for those who have read his sci-fi books already. This Empire is partly sci-fi and post-apocalyptic book at the same time. And yes, to adhere what I said at the previous paragraph, this book is somewhat a combination of sci-fi and politics. In this book, he made knots of problems, unknowingly; the thread he used was tangled already. If it doesn’t make sense to you, I hope this one will: Card used a confusing instrument in making this book. In effect, I was just as if skimming reading this book even though I have even read every word of it. And it was annoying that Card brought up different edges of political issues whilst it got more confusing.

“The most painful betrayal is when the closest person of your life happened to do it”

Quite true, right? This is one of the most beautiful quotes I liked in this book. However, after reading it, it was an instant hint of what was really going on. From that quote, I knew then who is to be blamed and who are the person to set my eyes onto. This book has a semi-open mystery that gives the reader an idea of the main antagonist of the story. If you didn’t notice it, I guess you had just ignored it but it was given in the early chapter who’s the person planning a dirty trick and given wholly the name in the last chapter. Under this issue, I could have given this book a one-star rating but because of the good plot, I’ve added one--only one just to indicate as “just an okay book”. Not good but not bad either.

Speaking of characters, I didn’t like how the author developed the characters. They were weak enough to be likable. I didn’t even understand how Card gave the first few chapters to Rube when at the halfway through he’ll be gone. And yet the character who caught the spotlight of Rube already introduced in the second or third chapter and still gave him small part in the early chapters. How could he be likable in that case?

I believe that the author is best at his previous works and awesome in creating a hero. But unfortunately, the heroes of this book have a weak foundation unlike the heroes in Card’s other books. They were praised as heroes in this book but I doubt if readers would praise them the way they do when it’s pretty obvious that there’s almost nothing the characters did much good job in terms of heroism.

I wouldn’t dare recommend this to everybody but if you’ll ask me to whom I would recommend this, obviously, to political issues fanatics out there. Go grab it but never go if you’re just going to blame me.

A two-star rating or an okay impression is, I think, enough for my book shelf to find another author to fall onto, considering that somehow he has retained my admiration to his works. But I’m sure it’s not good to count his previous works, rather, his present works to look for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire.

Kwesi 章英狮 I have this book! Gusto mo reading buddy ulit tayu? Haha.

Rollie meron ka pala nito. Sure! just tell when. hehe

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha sige first day of February, deal?

Rollie Sure. matagal tagal pa pala. haha

Kwesi 章英狮 Ngek yabang talaga! Gusto mo maging moderator ng isang discussion? Sa month of October till December?

Rollie ayoko. natakot ako. haha
baka yung books na i-mmoderate ko e di ko pa pala nabasa. Haha

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha Kaw naman yung pipili ng book na isasama sa list!

Rollie e panu ba yan? la akong kilala sa mga author na nabanggit sa october till december. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 Lol, hindi yun kaw mismo pipili ng genre mo!

Rollie Haha. nakita ko sa sa isang thread sa FG. yung authors na imomoderate e nakasulat na.

message 11: by Rollie (last edited Jan 20, 2011 01:40AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rollie segi payag ako kung ako pipili ng genre. haha

Kwesi 章英狮 Baliw iba naman yun,

Every month meron dalawang books, 1 for Bestselling and another book for Classics.

Filipino Book naman at YA Genre ay Quarterly!

Rollie segi na. oo payag na ako. :))

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha yehey! Thanks siguraduhin mo ha!

message 15: by Rollie (last edited Jan 20, 2011 01:04AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rollie lol! segi. anu bang genre ng ibang 1st to 3rd quarter?

Kwesi 章英狮 1st Quarter - Aaron (YA Novel)
2nd Quarter - Iyah (Undecided)
3rd Quarter - Joyzi (Paranormal - if I'm not mistaken)
4th Quarter - You (Undecided)

Book genres should be limited to books for young people.

message 17: by Rollie (last edited Jan 20, 2011 01:40AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rollie anu bang magandang i-moderate na genre?

Kwesi 章英狮 Di ko alam sayu akin kasi sana Children's Books. Haha!

Rollie lol. ba't di nalang ikaw?

Kwesi 章英狮 Ayaw ko eh haha! By the way ikaw na pala sa April, May and June! Any book you want!

Rollie baliw kaw nalang. ayoko sa mga buwan na yan! haha

Kwesi 章英狮 Sige na! Please!

Rollie lol. anu namang genre ang imomoderate ko? kaw nalang, at least may least ka na di ba?

message 24: by Iyah (new)

Iyah Waiiiittt!!! Nakita ko sa list ko Undecided pa ung list ko. pwede bang any books? as in gagawa ko ng random list from YA to erotic to thrillers? pwede ba un? saka pwede bang tatlong books lang pag bobotohan? or may minimum number dpat sa list?

Orient me Kwesi!!!

message 25: by Rollie (last edited Jan 21, 2011 06:30AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rollie erotic? seems yan talaga ang specialty mo. :D
I want to do the same with Iyah, pick any kind of books, regardless of their genre, as long as thy're still consider as YA. :)

message 26: by Iyah (new)

Iyah NOOOOO!! erotic is not my forte hahaha... sabi ko lang yan para iexample kung gano ka wide ang balak kong choices of genre. :D

Rollie LOL! natawa naman ako sa NOOOOO mo.
kala ko yan talaga ang mga gusto mo kasi parang naadik ka na sa Taming the Beast. haha

message 28: by Iyah (new)

Iyah NOOOOOO ulit ahaha...ang baba nga ng rating ko dun eh hehe

Rollie If I know, love mo yun. Sabi mo pa nga gusto mo yung i-rate ng 4. bwahaha

message 30: by Iyah (new)

Iyah Rollie wrote: "If I know, love mo yun. Sabi mo pa nga gusto mo yung i-rate ng 4. bwahaha"

uhhh yeah...for erotic fiction maganda siya...like ung sex parts and all. pero ung mismong plot ang shallow shallow kaya i settled for two. hahahha

Rollie hahaha. uu na, baka ka pa umiyak jan! :DD

Kwesi 章英狮 Iyah, Oo kahit ano pwede!

Rollie, Pwede naman kahit puro YA! yung mga nabasa mo na or walang genre pwede rin haha!

message 33: by Iyah (new)

Iyah gagawa si Rollie ng sarili niyang libro tapos un ang iddiscuss natin. haha

message 34: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Jan 21, 2011 06:55PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kwesi 章英狮 Iyah, good idea Iyah! Haha!

Rollie Mga baliw. haha
Parang nakakahiyang magmoderate. haha

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha kaya mo yan, please. Haha!

message 37: by Iyah (new)

Iyah 2ndQ na ba tlga ako? akala ko ako ung sa 4thQ hahah wala pa kong book list huhuhuhuhu

Kwesi 章英狮 Iyah, kaw na kasi sa 2nd haha! Sige na, kahit anong books susuportahan ko! And super thanks pala na kuwa ko na ang book mo and please read the message I sent to your profile. Hikhik!

Rollie 4th nalang ako!

Kwesi 章英狮 Oo ikaw na fourth!

Rollie mabuti naman at may time oa ako. hehe

Kwesi 章英狮 hahaha sisipain kita diyan!

message 43: by Iyah (new)

Iyah mabuti daw at may time ...may time pa siyang isulat ung book na iddiscuss natin hahaha....

ngaun ko pa lang babasahin Kwesi hahaha wait!! :D

Rollie lol. magaling ka pala kwesi sa sipa. haha

uu iyah at kaw ang bida. haha

message 45: by Iyah (new)

Iyah parang kinakabahan naman ako jan ah...anung plot?? hahahaha

Rollie erotica nag genre. :)))
yung favorite mo.

Kwesi 章英狮 Bwahaha bahala na kayo diyan, basta mag ingat ingat lang kayu kung makikita ko kayu face-to-face! Haha! Joke!

Rollie lol. kung makita..

message 49: by Iyah (new)

Iyah Rollie wrote: "lol. kung makita.."

noooooooooo!!!!!!! sasampahan kita ng kaso.....hahahaha ang siga naman nung isa jan hahaha

Rollie taming the beasts