D's Reviews > The Photograph

The Photograph by Beverly Lewis

Beverly Lewis was the first "Amish" author that I read years ago. It is because of her that books about the Amish "plain" way of life have become my go to "comfort reads" when life gets crazy and busy and stressful. I love how Ms. Lewis can weave an interesting story that includes the authenticity of Amish life and teaches an important moral lesson while never sounding "preachy." The Photograph, one of Ms. Lewis' more recent books, is an example of this style that keeps readers coming back to her books again and again.

The Photograph is the story of three "plain" sisters - Frona, Eva and Lily - orphans in wake of the untimely deaths of both parents. Now, their older brother plans to move the sisters out of the family home and move his family in. While this is going on, youngest sister, Lily, undergoes a trial of her faith and decides to leave her family and Amish ways to pursue the ways of the modern world and an "Englisher" boyfriend.

As the story progresses and Frona and Eva patiently wait and pray for divine intervention to help them find Lily, a young man from another Amish community finds a picture of a striking young Amish girl in a book left behind on a train. The author takes what some might consider a coincidence and shows that to the praying believer of God's grace, there are no coincidences.

As a reader, I enjoyed the pacing of this book. I have read Amish books by less skillful authors that became a chore to read as the story drug along in the middle of the book. This book was interesting and highly readable from beginning to end. I looked forward to taking time to read it each day. The characters were likable, and although they seemed imperfect and human, I felt like many of their actions were worthy of emulation. Also, as is always the case with Beverly Lewis books, there were no "objectionable surprises" in this book. It was a good, uplifting book with a plot and characters based on Christian values.

I give this book four stars out of five. ****
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Photograph.

Started Reading