Joanne Hall's Reviews > A Cry In The Night

A Cry In The Night by Tom Grieves

did not like it

*Spoilers* (For what it's worth).

From the blurb on the back, this book had potential. A disturbing local history, children have disappeared, there are a cohort of mysterious villagers, and 2 coppers looking for answers.

Sadly, I gave up on this book within 60 pages.

Where do I start?

There is the out of date and over-stereotypical misogynistic Chief Superintendent who is trying to run with the big boys, telling the male DI to not give certain information that may or may not be pertinent to the case at hand to the 'pretty little - but good at her job' DC. I had to double check the publishing date of the book, thinking it was a re-print of some pre-1980 novel.

As for the two investigating officers, they are very unconvincing as professional police. They have have arrived in a very small village to continue looking into the now 4 weeks old disappearance of two of the local children. Yet, the DI on the very day he and the DC arrive in a small village, goes for post-prandial evening walk and has sex in a public place with an unknown local.

As for the DC, left in the public bar (even though the DI knows she wants to play games with one of the local lads,and not in a good way), starts drinking heavily with eventually, three local lads who are clearly and obviously in a belligerent mood. Aware that the mood is turning potentially ugly she goes upstairs to her room, but later opens her door to one of the drunken lads, waits for him to take his kit off, and then pushes him naked out of her room and locks the door. Very much pissing him off in the process.

Don't get me wrong, it is their choice to have or not have sex. However, as this all happens at the beginning of a sensitive investigation of two missing children, shagging and pissing off the locals is an unconvincing start.

The writing is juvenile, as is the behaviour of the two investigating officers.

I could not stomach reading on beyond page 60.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Cry In The Night.

Finished Reading
October 16, 2015 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Michelle Heeter I gave up after 50 pages.