Sandy's Reviews > I'm Travelling Alone

I'm Travelling Alone by Samuel Bjørk

I’ve been drowning in a sea of “meh” books lately. Don’t know whether it’s because I’ve chosen badly or a virulent case of the winter blahs but the last few just couldn’t hold my attention due to interminable detail and/or MC’s I found irritating (I’m convinced if they studied my genetic make-up they’d discover hummingbird DNA due to my nonexistent attention span).

Hallelujah, the streak is over.

Set in Norway, the story follows the members of a special police unit that was disbanded after their last case went horribly wrong. But when someone starts snatching 6 year old girls, the powers that be quickly realize their best hope lies in reassembling the group of elite investigators. Yep, the band’s getting back together.

Individually, they are all misfits……2 seasoned detectives, a lawyer, a thug & a hacker. It’s not an original idea but what sets these characters apart is how clearly defined & well developed they are. The author has invested just as much time breathing life into the protagonists as he has in creating a scary, complex mystery.

It begins with several seemingly unconnected story lines unfolding. As we get to know the characters, each subplot develops until they gradually intersect & the big picture comes into focus. And it’s nasty.
At this point, it becomes a full on thriller with plenty of dead ends & misdirection to keep you on your toes. The last 100 pages will have you flipping the pages as all the pieces click into place for a literal race to the finish.

So if you’re looking for a smart & engrossing suspense story give this a try, particularly if you’re a fan of Arne Dahl.

Just as an aside, kudos to the translator. Descriptive passages & dialogue flow smoothly with none of the awkward/stilted phrasing sometimes found when books are translated for the North American market.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Travelling Alone.

October 16, 2015 – Shelved
March 2, 2016 – Shelved as: serial-killer
March 2, 2016 – Shelved as: suspense
March 2, 2016 – Shelved as: translation
March 2, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Norma * Traveling Sister Yah! So glad you found a winner Sandy! Wonderful review! :-)

message 2: by Sandy (last edited Apr 15, 2017 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sandy Norma wrote: "Yah! So glad you found a winner Sandy! Wonderful review! :-)"

Thanks, Norma! Really looking forward to the sequel for this one, should be out soon :)

message 3: by Frances (new)

Frances I'm still drowning Sandy ... lol. Glad this one took you out of your slump! Nice review!!

Sandy Frances wrote: "I'm still drowning Sandy ... lol. Glad this one took you out of your slump! Nice review!!"

Oh no! Don't you hate that? I think I just need to pay more attention when choosing books. Hope you've found a great one!

message 5: by Frances (new)

Frances Thanks Sandy .... picked up a hardcover today on sale; so fingers crossed!! Starting another NetGalley today, then onto the hardcover one!! :D

message 6: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Daly Oh so great that this worked, and you're still working on the monkey. So I guess it's not a rattle your cage immediately book?

Sandy Kathleen wrote: "Oh so great that this worked, and you're still working on the monkey. So I guess it's not a rattle your cage immediately book?"

Just finished 4MK, Kathleen. I'm going to try to get my act together & have a review up by tomorrow. Have a whack of reading to do for work & it's seriously cutting into reading for pleasure time.

Sandy Debby wrote: "(There are typos and other errors in my comment. I can't see that it's editable. Or even take-downable. I've tried the app version and the browser version. Sorry.)"

No worries, Debby. The edit button may only be visible on computer/laptop...not sure as I only use these to go on GR. "Sixth form" is not a Canadian term but I think it's used in Norway. Yes, I thought the translator did a good job. I've read some really bad ones where, as you say, the dialogue in particular is translated so literally that it's unnatural & you keep thinking "Who talks like that?". Hard to keep hold of the story line.

Debby Hallett Sandy wrote: No worries, Debby..."

And now I've gone and deleted the wrong thing. I'll go practise in private. :-)

Sandy Debby wrote: "Sandy wrote: No worries, Debby..."

And now I've gone and deleted the wrong thing. I'll go practise in private. :-)"

I feel your pain, Debby. I'm one of those tech "experts" who gets IT support from 10 year old ; )

message 11: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat Morris-jones Just ordered the sequel from the library. I know the feeling re slump. I've read a few good books but not good thrillers. I have empathy Sandy. I loved this too

Sandy Pat wrote: "Just ordered the sequel from the library. I know the feeling re slump. I've read a few good books but not good thrillers. I have empathy Sandy. I loved this too"

Don't you hate that? It's been a bit hit & miss lately for me as well. So glad you enjoyed this one, Pat.

message 13: by Tony (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tony How did the abduction of Rakel fit into the story?

Sandy Tony wrote: "How did the abduction of Rakel fit into the story?"

Hi Tony. I've been wracking my brain trying to remember this part of the book but sadly can't recall. My memory is crap at the best of times & I've read a couple of hundred more books since I read this one. So sorry!