JF at SustainableTraditions's Reviews > Rescuing the Gospel from the Cowboys: A Native American Expression of the Jesus Way

Rescuing the Gospel from the Cowboys by Richard Twiss

Oct 16, 2015

bookshelves: on-the-shelf, currently-reading

This is a powerful and dangerous book. Powerful because it highlights the legacy of the late Richard Twiss (and others) who worked so hard to break new ground in living out a discipleship to Jesus in the context of Native American lifeways. It's dangerous because it undercuts the assumptions and colonialism of Euro-American Christianity - calling into question the means and ways of historical missionary endeavors as they relate to indigenous peoples. In the same motion - it points a prophetic finger towards the modern church in the West calling into question our belief that we are practicing Christianity free from dominant cultural influences. I haven't finished reading this book yet but already I feel a strong call to repentance embedded in the text as the late author brings to light the pain we have inflicted and still inflict on native peoples in the name of Christianity. This book is not refuting authentic Christian faith but asking - how can Native American Christians faithfully practice "the Jesus way". This is a very dense read - but critical for all American Christians to hear.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rescuing the Gospel from the Cowboys.

October 16, 2015 – Started Reading