Tara Calaby's Reviews > The Old Man and the Sea

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

bookshelves: 100-books

I just read a 100 page novella about a fishing trip, essentially, and now I feel like I need to curl up under a rug and just sit with the deep feeling of sadness it conveyed.

I love Hemingway's writing. A lot of the time, I don't like the subjects he writes about, which is why I haven't read as much of his work as my deep admiration for his writing talent would suggest. Even this story is really pushing it, although the necessity of fishing for survival makes it much more palatable than Hemingway's tales of big game hunting, and there is an ever-present acknowledgement here that the fish that the old man is pursuing is just as noble and worthy as the man himself.

I think it's this that makes the story--and the fish's ultimate fate--so deeply moving. The fish and the old man are brothers and ultimately they share the same inglorious fate.

A damn powerful piece of writing--one that speaks to me on a personal level. Now, please excuse me: I have something in my eye.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Old Man and the Sea.

Quotes Tara Liked

Ernest Hemingway
“But man is not made for defeat," he said. "A man can be destroyed but not defeated.”
Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea