Katie Michaels's Reviews > Shadowfever

Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

Jan 18, 2011

bookshelves: fever, favorites, urban-fantasy
Read in January, 2011

Before I started this book, there was a big part of me that believed there was no way I could be satisfied when I was done. There were simply too many questions to be answered, too many loose ends to ever tie up in a way that both made sense and appeased my need for a happily ever after. I was wrong.

There is so much packed into these pages that when I think back to the question, "Who is the beast?" it seems like a lifetime ago. It's no wonder you don't get much information from the summary regarding what this book is about (it mostly recaps the series as a whole.) I find that even trying to talk about it in generalities reveals fantastic developments in the plot. So if you haven't read "Shadowfever" yet, I urge you to stop reading here, with my reassurance that it's a fantastic book that left me wholly satisfied and warm inside.

The first chapter of this book shredded me. When Mac thought she had killed (view spoiler) This is not the Mac of Darkfever . She is powerful, but hollow. She finally gets her showdown with the Lord Master with decidedly anticlimactic results.

Mac seemed to learn so much about herself and her feelings with (view spoiler)

Without spoiling much more, I can tell you some of the questions that are finally answered: What is Mac? Who killed Alina and why? Who is the Unseelie King? Who is the King's consort? Who is the Dreamy-Eyed Guy? Who is Cruce? Who was the dying boy in Barrons' memory? What is under the garage? And perhaps the best question of all... who is the real villain in the story? The answer to that last one blew me away.

Karen Marie Moning has created a tale of twists and turns that kept me guessing until the very end. NO ONE should read this book without reading the other books in the series first. And after reading this fifth installment, I'm sure many fans will go back to the previous books and read the stories from a new perspective, knowing truths we never dreamed of when it all began. There are enough threads that I can easily see more books in this Fever world, but I promise there is no cliffhanger here. Just a fantastic ending to a creative and enthralling story.

I'd give it more than 5 stars if I could.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowfever.

Quotes Katie Liked

Karen Marie Moning
“When you know who I am. Let me be your man.”
Karen Marie Moning, Shadowfever

05/29/2016 marked as: read

Barbara (VampAngel) "Mac seemed to learn so much about herself and her feelings with Barrons' death. It was disappointing to see so much of it go out of the window when they were finally reunited. She was ready to end the world for him, yet suddenly, overhearing a phone call makes her regress utterly? It was one of the few parts of the book that left me frustrated. It was hard to see the roles reverse between Barrons and Mac... to see him so vulnerable... And when she finally looked inside his mind and learned what he was feeling while she was Pri-ya... Sigh."

This is spot on and my only issue with the book. Great review! I saw it on Amazon too.

Katie Michaels Thanks Barbara! I can't wait to see what the spinoff books focus on!

message 3: by jD (new) - rated it 5 stars

jD Great review. I don't know about there being no cliffhanger. I still want to know what Barrons is and how he got that way...but God, I loved that book. I keep re-reading the scenes of Barrons being brought low by love LoL.

Katie Michaels Are you talking about Dani? After what KMM did to us at the end of each Fever book, I just couldn't see that as a cliffhanger. Though I do concede there are threads left open to segue into the spinoff series. I am so glad the Fever world will continue in some fashion. I consider this to be one of the best books I've ever read. --And as for Barrons, my favorite line in the book, "Just one time... When you know who I am. Let me be your man." (*Sigh*)

message 5: by jD (new) - rated it 5 stars

jD Co-sigh on the Barrons quote. No I was thinking about Barrons and his friends just waking up from the dead without knowing what happened. Also, what does he eat? Danni's cliffhanger did not bother me too much. She is a book onto herself.

Katie Michaels KMM says she purposely left us w/out a label for Barrons and the others. She says she wanted us to judge him based on his actions, just as he demanded of Mac. It really didn't bother me not to have a name for what they are. But I understand why some people may feel cheated by it.

message 7: by jD (new) - rated it 5 stars

jD Well true enough, Barrons is just Barrons. I loved him from the start of the series. I was more curious because there seems to be a hierarchy with his friends and I wanted to understand them better as a whole. Perhaps she will write a book about one of his friends and we can get a sense of if Barrons is even unique amongst them. I WANT MORE...I'm just greedy that way.

Katie Michaels Me too! I can't wait!

message 9: by jD (new) - rated it 5 stars

jD If you like the fae, there is a great new series. Book one is called The Fire Lord's Lover. It is so creative and unique. I have it on Kindle so I don't know if there is a paperback. Night Myst is also a good one but it's much darker. It's series too.

Katie Michaels My TBR pile is always growing. I love to get new recommendations. Thanks jD!

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: You guys are making me want to re-read this one!! I just finished it last week BTW..LOL!