Marissa Scott's Reviews > Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney

bookshelves: edrd-shelf

For this week's book selection, I went with a strictly graphic novel route. When choosing my books, it brought back childhood memories for me because a lot of these books were some of my brother's all time favorite books when he was younger. He used to sit me down and have "story time" and just read these books to me over and over again; especially Captain Underpants and Calvin and Hobbes. So naturally, I ended up enjoying these books also. When I got older though, I read the Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney and was pretty amused by it. I liked how it was an easy read but one that a lot of kids could relate to on a daily basis. I also liked how the pictures drawn within each passage helps elevate the reading experience rather than just being a distraction from it. I know for me, these pictures helped me create the mental scene for how the book was being told and what was going on in it. I would love to have graphic novels such as this series in my future classroom not only because they are fun to read but also because it is not just a comic strip style book but one that almost reads like a chapter book. I feel that a style like this would be good to have to give to the students that are struggling with the transition from picture books to chapter books. This style is almost like an easy little bridge from these two types of books so that the kids are still being entertained by the little graphics drawn on almost every page, yet there is enough words per page and enough separation between each chapter that it starts to teach those struggling with chapter books that they are not as difficult and boring as they may seem at first glance. The students could start to see how even though books like chapter books may not have as many big pictures as picture books did, it does not make they any less fun. A book like this one that has simple little stick figure drawings allow the kids to keep reading through the pictures and just use them to help form the mental image for the characters, but then allows the kids to use their imagination to make the figures come to life from what they are reading on each page. I know if I would have had a transition like this one between very artistic book and ones with only words, I probably would enjoy reading more now than I do. I was always to distracted and bored of books that only had words when I was young, but I feel that if I had fun graphic novels like this one, I might have been kept interested by the images more but still learning to love to read from the images I could create in my head from what the words were describing to me. I would love to have more graphic novels in my classroom than I did in the classes that I grew up in and I would love to also teach my future kids about this style of book. For next week, I will probably try to find all my favorite novels that I read or had read to me since we are starting the novel section of the class.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

Finished Reading