Steph's Reviews > Kindling the Moon

Kindling the Moon by Jenn Bennett

2142019
Kindling the Moon is a fantastic start to a fun, new series. Arcadia "Cady" Bell, mage and part owner of a tiki bar that caters to demons, is in hiding. She and her parents have been on the lam (separately) since her parents were accused of murder. She's determined to prove her parents' innocence. In the process, she meets Lon, a demon who has the books necessary to help her find the demon Cady believes to be responsible for the murders.

Lon (divorced dad) and his teenage son, Jupiter (nicknamed Jupe) are part of what makes this book such a great read. Jupe is exactly like I was at his age - he's precocious, sassy, and a serious chatterbox. He cracks me up throughout the entire book.
“No swearing around company.”

“Goddammit, Jupe.”

“Language, Dad.”

The relationship between Lon and Jupe is one that I envy; they have their father/son disagreements, but are open, honest and supportive. They are exactly what Cady needs b/c she's been alone her whole life and, since she's been on the run, she keeps herself closed off from others to a great extent. And, Lon ... sigh. He's an empath, but still struggles when trying to read Cady. Their interaction is exactly what UF fans hope for - a slow build to an exciting romance.

I have already moved on to book #2, Summoning the Night, and will continue to follow this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kindling the Moon.

January 18, 2011 – Shelved
March 27, 2011 – Shelved as: author-웃
November 8, 2011 – Shelved as: series-book1
July 29, 2012 – Shelved as: sos-games-bsb-r5
July 29, 2012 –
23.0% "“No swearing around company.” // “Don’t let him fool you,” Jupe said, “he drops the F-bomb like a billion times a day, but he only pretends it’s wrong in front of other people. H-Y-P-O-C-R-I—” he began spelling. // “Goddammit, Jupe.” // “Language, Dad.” {Love this kid!! Reminds me of me ... A cussing chatterbox. }"
July 30, 2012 – Started Reading
July 30, 2012 –
48.0% "Huh? What? Spell? What spell? Yowza!"
July 30, 2012 –
52.0% "A perplexed empath. *sigh* How adorable and so damn sexy."
July 31, 2012 –
64.0% "… the more I tried to empty my mind, the worse it got. A vortex of random images and thoughts swirled in my brain. 'Don’t think about the time you slept with that skanky delivery guy who worked at Thai Garden, or when you threw up on the middle couch cushion and just wiped it off and flipped it over, or …' {LOL!}"
July 31, 2012 –
64.0% "“I’ve seen all kinds of shit in people’s heads. Believe me, there’s nothing you could think that I haven’t already heard somewhere else.” // I cringed. “Seen it all, huh? You’re like an OB-GYN of the mind-reading world?”"
July 31, 2012 –
75.0% "*gulp* JFC is right!"
July 31, 2012 –
100.0% "Very fun read! The author has a great sense of humor, which she passes on to her characters. I fell in love with Jupiter first; he reminds me a lot of myself at 13. Looking forward to reading SUMMONING THE NIGHT next."
July 31, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites-2012
July 31, 2012 – Shelved as: year-read-2012
August 1, 2012 – Finished Reading
January 23, 2014 – Shelved as: series-ended
January 23, 2014 – Shelved as: series-i-love
January 23, 2014 – Shelved as: series-completed

Leah Just finished the second in this series, I love it! Hopefully this one is going well for you :)

Steph I'm reading #2 now. RL is slowin' me down, but I'm really enjoying it. #1 was such a fun read. I've definitely found a new fave series to follow.