Derek Neighbors's Reviews > The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy

The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy by E.D. Hirsch Jr.

Oct 14, 2015

I love to dive into Culture and what it means and how it affects people. I had never really thought much previously about Cultural Literacy. I think Hirsch says it best himself, "Community is built up of shared knowledge and values -- the same shared knowledge that is taken for granted when we read a book or newspaper, and that is also taken for granted as part of the fabric that connects us to one another."

As I read the book I became more and more aware that part of what disconnects me with others is when there isn't much overlap in Cultural Literacy. I find this often when working in a diverse environment where co-workers are from another country. I am sure this book will piss many people off in it's thoughts about how to go about teaching Cultural Literacy, but there is little denying the power of a shared language/culture.

If you are wanting to find good books to read or topics to engage in to broaden your ability to connect this sucker is full of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy.

October 14, 2015 – Started Reading