Maria Rose's Reviews > Crashed Out

Crashed Out by Tessa Bailey

Oct 14, 2015

bookshelves: 4-star-reads, fully-reviewed-books, sexy-as-all-get-out, best-friends-sibling

In trademark Tessa Bailey style, the dirty talking, fast rocking Sarge is on hiatus from his very successful band to regroup and claim the woman who has eluded him for years. She's his older sister's best friend, his ex babysitter, and the star of many fantasies. But that was then and this is now and Sarge is all grown up, a muscular toned hottie with a determination to make Jasmine see him for the man he's become. Trouble is, Jasmine has been stuck in Hook New Jersey just a little too long now, with her dreams of making it as a professional singer dusty and forlorn. She's accepted her lot as a factory worker making ends meet. Though Sarge might be able to convince her to explore their newfound attraction, she's not going to let him throw away the next stage of his career by staying with her, no matter the chemistry between them. Can Sarge convince Jasmine that if she'll just take a chance with him, they can soar together?

It's getting to the point that I have some clear expectations where a book by this author is concerned. Lots of sexual tension, interesting and down to earth settings, hot hot sex with a man who clearly knows his way around a woman's body, and generally speaking, women who either have that feistiness innate to their character or develop it as they gain confidence from the attentions of a hot male in their midst. I really liked Sarge's character in this story. The rock star persona was an interesting characteristic that gives the reader the background to understanding why he's been away, and also why he's returned to Hook to reconnect with his sister, meet his 3 year old niece, and convince Jasmine that he's not the little boy she thinks he is anymore. It's kind of a rock star story, but kind of not, since the band is on hiatus (though we do get to see some of the other members in the story) but the fame still follows Sarge around when he's out in public. He comes across as very mature (22 years old, but 4 years of that on the road with a rock band will cause you to grow up fast), a man who knows what he wants, and a man who is comfortable in his own skin. Jasmine is the unsure factor here, she of the broken dreams and barely satisfying life as a factory employee with a singing voice that's been put to rest, presumably for good. She's a good friend to River, Sarge's sister though, and that comes through clearly. I really liked that when River found out that Sarge and Jasmine were sleeping together she didn't freak out over it, but accepted it like an adult and it didn't become a source of conflict for them. The age difference between Sarge and Jasmine is an issue at first, but fortunately not for long as Jasmine realizes that Sarge is not just interested in her on a whim, but that she's been his muse for his music for years and that his feelings for her are much deeper than she would have ever imagined.

So of course, the sex is a big part of the story, and with the chemistry between them their love scenes were super hot! If I had one complaint it would be that the dirty talking was a little over the top for me in this one. I can't believe people actually talk like that in real life and though sometimes a turn on, there were some phrases that definitely made me aware of Sarge's younger age (I'll leave you to read the story and figure out which ones I'm talking about). The plot moves along fairly predictably, and the secondary characters give some insight into future stories that will be told in the series. Overall, I found it an enjoyable and sexy read. 4 stars.

Note: this story was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crashed Out.

October 14, 2015 – Shelved
December 1, 2015 – Shelved as: fully-reviewed-books
December 1, 2015 – Shelved as: sexy-as-all-get-out
December 1, 2015 – Finished Reading
April 2, 2016 – Shelved as: best-friends-sibling

Maria Rose Nikki wrote: "How's this so far??"

~nikki the recovering book addict Maria Rose wrote: "Nikki wrote: "How's this so far??"

I enjoyed it! Sorry, I didn't see your comment until now, you can see my review is up!"

It's ok!! I think GR notifications are a bit blah.. LOL...
Oooo... Love your review! This book has just been bumped up to the top of my read list! =]]

Maria Rose oh I hope you like it, comes out next week! I think the whole series will be quite good.

~nikki the recovering book addict Maria Rose wrote: "oh I hope you like it, comes out next week! I think the whole series will be quite good."

Can't wait!!! =]]

Maria Rose Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳ wrote: "Great review, Maria!"

Merci Cherie!

message 8: by UltraMeital (new)

UltraMeital bands / music is not a genre I read usually, hard for me to say why, but generally I'm not impressed by them but since you seem to love the author, do you have a recommendation for a stand alone?