Nisha's Reviews > How to Marry a Duke

How to Marry a Duke by Vicky Dreiling

bookshelves: historicalromance, rake-player-heroes, bluestocking-independent-spinster, tupping-a-duke

I finished this yesterday, and while I enjoyed it then, I can't remember much about it today. This is actually kind of disturbing to me, because I thought it was a pretty good book.

Tristan, the Duke of Shelbourne, wants/needs a wife. He even has a list of requirements for one. Voluptuous, graceful, intelligent, etc. And while it seems too clinical to most of you, it's not far from the truth to today's arranged marriages. Anyway, he doesn't exactly think that he should marry for love, because his father was a major jerk to his mother. Don't ask. He accidentally meets Miss Mansfield, Tess, our heroine. She's 26, a spinster by reputation, a matchmaker by profession, and perfect by Tristan. Well, almost perfect, if he hadn't gotten her to set him up with his future duchess. Recognizing a golden opportunity when she saw one, she brings in 24 young women to meet the bachelor Duke - all 24 competing to be Tristan's duchess. Of course, this is all moot, since the one that Tristan really wants is Tess. Things get really steamy, but in fear of a scandal, they both refuse to admit that they love each other. Finally, they(*cough*He*cough*) makes sure that there is no scandal and no worries for them to marry.

Oh yea, did I mention that Tess has a mysterious shameful past and an unwanted ex-suitor? I'm sure we can all connect the dot - Tess isn't a virgin. But maybe its just me, but I don't see why its such a big deal. As in Ms. Dreiling built up the suspense, making a big deal about this small issue. I was afraid that there was a murder or a baby involved. No, it was just the lack of a hymen. *facepalm*

I really liked Tristan. not like my ideal soulmate or whatever, but he was a realistic, confused man, who wanted love, but was still kinda afraid of it. He has a temper, but he isn't blind to reason. Ms. Dreiling was successful in creating a likeable, realistic HR hero. I also liked Tessa. Most of the time. Her guilty conscience annoyed me, mostly because I didn't think it was THAT big of a deal.

My favorite characters were Tristan's mom, Tristan's BFF, Hawk, and Tristan's lil sis, Julienne. Hawk and Julienne are supposed to be paired off in the next book. I can't wait. There was also a lot of emphasis on Amy and Georgette, the final 2 contestants for Regency Bachelor. I think they're getting their own HEA books. I hope, at least.

Overall, a fun read. Not very memorable, my only reason to rate this a 4, but otherwise, great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Marry a Duke.

January 17, 2011 – Shelved
January 24, 2011 – Started Reading
January 24, 2011 – Shelved as: historicalromance
January 24, 2011 – Shelved as: rake-player-heroes
January 24, 2011 – Shelved as: bluestocking-independent-spinster
January 24, 2011 –
0.0% "ch4 - Welcome to Millionaire Matchmaker. or was it The Bachelor? Let the games begin!"
January 25, 2011 –
0.0% "ch6 - Speed Dating!"
January 25, 2011 –
0.0% "Ch12 - Oh Tristan, you cad, having extremely steamy fantasies about your matchmaker, in her presence."
January 25, 2011 –
0.0% "Ch13 - oh, how I love the Duchess, Tristan's mom. Planning to matchmake the matchmaker to someone other than her son. Does she know he likes her?"
January 25, 2011 –
0.0% "“I have it. Your Grace, do you prefer dogs, horses, or sheep?” He wondered if his ears were clogged. “Miss Shepherd, did you say sheep?” Sally twittered. “Oh, yes. My brother Charles adores our sheep. He gives all the ewes names. His favorite is Louisa. Isn’t that sweet?” Do not laugh. Whatever you do, do not laugh. He made the mistake of glancing at Hawk, who slid down in his chair, his shoulders shaking."
January 25, 2011 –
0.0% "“I am deeply sorry for seducing you. It did not occur to me you would become so distraught.” “What?” Had she forgotten to pack her brains? “You must not worry, for I will still respect you tomorrow.” She paused. “But…” Tristan gaped at her. He must have pleasured her senseless. Then she glanced at him and said in a rush, “I hope you will forgive me, but I cannot make an honest man out of you.”"
January 25, 2011 –
0.0% "ch18 - she refused, and you let her get away with it. Tristan *shakes head*"
January 26, 2011 – Finished Reading