Bret James Stewart's Reviews > The New American Commentary Volume 34 - 1, 2 Timothy, Titus

The New American Commentary Volume 34 - 1, 2 Timothy, Titus by Thomas Lea

19232021

This commentary is based upon the NIV version of the Bible. It is as good as most commentaries on the market. As commentaries provide additional detail and comments about the text, it is recommended that more than one commentary be used when studying biblical material. Each author is going to have his own focus and presuppositions such as denominational stances that will impact the premises made. The authors here have a Baptist background. This particular commentary deals mostly with the individual verses of these books, which seems somewhat unusual as most of the commentaries I have read deal with thought units or segments of the book in question. A verse-by-verse approach might be slightly superior to the other method as each verse receives treatment rather than being passed over or addressed as part of a selection of related verses.

The commentary assumes that this reference book will be used in teaching and preaching, so it is slanted toward this purpose. The book focuses upon the unity of the individual books of the Bible as well as the canon as a whole, which results in the author demonstrating the same. Further, the book is constructed with a conservative exegetical style with an evangelical and applicational bent. Further, it is assumed the reader does not know Greek and provides a transliteration for such terms.

The Pastoral Epistles, as these are collectively called, have served an important purpose in proper church stewardship, providing a method of dealing with false teaching, and shed light on the warm relationship between Paul and his protégés. I like this commentary. The only thing I would have preferred was it be based upon the KJV, though I understand and the choices behind utilizing the NIV. I highly recommend this commentary. I will be reading more of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New American Commentary Volume 34 - 1, 2 Timothy, Titus.

Finished Reading