Portia Lynn (itsportiasbooks)'s Reviews > Paint My Body Red

Paint My Body Red by Heidi R. Kling

19245294

bookshelves: netgalleys-and-other-arcs

UPDATE!! THIS IS AVAILABLE TODAY!!

**I received this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

At my death paint my body with red paint and plunge it into fresh water to be restored back to life, otherwise my bones will be turned into stone and my joints into flint in my grave, but my spirit will rise. ―Crazy Horse

Honestly, I did not expect to love this book and enjoy it as much as I did. When it came up for review, I read the synopsis, thought it sounded interesting, so I went for it. I did not expect to become so invested in it, or to let it force me to feel so much.

What do you do when people all around you, your peers, are dying? By suicide? You start to wonder if maybe something is in the water. Then you seek out ways to help you cope and to feel something other than shock and sadness. In this case, Paige's search for something to distract her only lead to more trouble. So she is forced to go spend the summer between high school and college with her father, who lives on an amazing ranch and whom she hasn't seen in years.

How hard, how almost impossible it is to cling to the beautiful moments that keep us alive? Keep us fighting through those dark times when those moments are few and far between?

At the ranch, Paige becomes a new person. She finds herself, she finds happiness and love, while also being forced to face other forms of loss that she never expected. I absolutely fell in love right alongside her, and I also felt the pain and loss with her. I cried like 3 times during this book, I guess I'm feeling extra emotional these days. I don't even like horses! (that seems like a crazy thing to say, but its not. oh and no animals were harmed in the creation of this story.) In the end, Paige comes out stronger and braver than she ever was before.

What I did not know was that this was inspired by actual events, but one the author mentioned it, I remembered it in the news. In Palo Alto, in 2009, there was a cluster of teen suicides in a similar fashion as the book. The author tried to make some kind of sense out of it and wanted to protect her own children from the "contagious" suicides, so she created Paige and her story as an outlet. Originally, I though maybe something paranormal would be tied to it, but this story was much more meaningful than I could have expected.

This is a great contemporary novel that deals with SO MANY things, not just suicide. I definitely recommend this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paint My Body Red.

October 13, 2015 – Shelved