Donna Parker's Reviews > These Shallow Graves

These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly

This book reminded me of a valuable lesson, don't judge a book by its cover (sorry, didn't like the U.S. cover). When I won These Shallow Graves from the Goodreads First Reads Program, free for the price of an honest review, I was overwhelmed by books - owned books, library books, ebooks, books to review for my blog https://yadadarcyyada.com - so many books, not enough time, it was relegated to a basket of books. I'm disappointed in myself because I could have read this wonderful book sooner. I could have learned about Ms. Donnelly as an author sooner. Another valuable lesson - read at least the first chapter of a book when I get it so I know what I'm missing...or not.
What if everything you ever knew about your life was a lie? If one day your whole world comes tumbling down? 1890, New York - the world is changing rapidly and Jo's world is changing too, and not for the better. Josephine/Jo seems like she has it all: money, status, engagement to a wealthy and handsome man. When her father passes she feels sad, vulnerable, but also full of questions. Those questions drag Jo down a dangerous path that leads to a dark truth many feel should have stayed in its shallow grave, but the truth never stays buried for long and once revealed, nothing will ever be the same.
You can't judge a book by its cover, or a person by their appearance, there's a lot of depth to Jo and the other skillfully crafted characters Ms. Donnelly gave birth to in this nicely complex mystery. Filled to the brim with red herrings, convoluted paths, and complicated characters, this novel keeps you reading and wondering.
My only issue was the length. I feel like books, movies, fast food, etc. all think they need to be bigger and bigger these days. I don't know if it's to justify the high prices, but sometimes less is more.
Pleased I finally made time to read not only this book, but others by Ms. Donnelly as well. Thank you, These Shallow Graves for reminding me how much I love reading...and solving mysteries.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Shallow Graves.

October 13, 2015 – Shelved