Kate's Reviews > The 100

The 100 by Kass Morgan

Apr 17, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: 2017, age-ya, sci-fi, dystopia, audiobooks

I actually decided to listen to this audiobook because it had the same narrator as The 5th Wave, and I had watched only the first episode of the TV series and thought I might want more background before watching further.

A hundred years ago, humans had to leave Earth, and have been living in space ever since. Because of limited food, oxygen and other supplies, people are only allowed to have one child, and anyone committing a crime is executed, unless they are a minor, in which case they are kept in the detention center until they are 18 and retried and always executed. Until now, when resources have become so critically low that the chancellor decides to send some humans to Earth to see if it can sustain human life again. The 100 teens in the detention center are sent down in order not to waste the precious lives of good citizens. If they die, it doesn't matter, because they would die anyway.

What follows reminded me a little of the TV series "Lost." Each of the teens has a backstory, and not all of them are really "criminals." There's Clarke, trained as a medic, who is angry at ex-boyfriend Wells, who is the son of the chancellor and committed a crime just so he could be with Wells. Then there's Bellamy, who attacked someone just to get on board the dropship so he could protect his little sister Octavia (in jail because she's an illegal second child). And then there's Glass, who escaped the dropship in the chaos of Bellamy's attack, and who is trying to find her ex-boyfriend Luke to explain what she did.

The audio format made it a little difficult to deal with the flashbacks that occurred each chapter, but eventually I got to figuring out when the narrative suddenly wasn't in the present tense of dealing with the Earth wilderness. Like "Lost," each character's motivation seemed to shift with each flashback. I felt like a little too much time was spent on Glass's story, as I couldn't really figure out why it was necessary if this was more about the 100 teens living on Earth, but the end helped it make a little bit of sense, if the lives of those still on the ship and those on the ground might collide someday. The characters weren't especially deep, and I can't say I really liked any of them, but this moved along quickly enough that I didn't mind. Generally it was a good filler while I wait for my hold on The Infinite Sea to be filled. I'll need to try watching the TV series again, although from what I recall there wasn't much similar. But I might not have been paying attention.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 100.

October 13, 2015 – Shelved