Lucia's Reviews > The Girl from Everywhere

The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig

bookshelves: dnf

DNF at 22%

This is perfect example of „it’s me not you“ kind of book. I tried. I started this novel three times but I always ended up putting it away until I faced the reality and moved it to my DNF shelf. It just simply wasn’t holding my attention and I wasn’t feeling it. There was zero connection between me and narrator during those 22% I forced myself to read. (I wasn’t big fan of writing either.)

I’m not sure whether call this combination weird or fantastic but I had very hard time connecting with heroine who has no problem navigating pirate ship traveling in time and simultaneously knowing how to use cell phone and Google. If you are a fan of mish-mash genre, than this book is for you. Contemporary, magical realism, adventure, history…this book had it all in those 22% I read. Unfortunately, this combination didn’t work for me.

*ARC provided by publisher as an exchange for honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl from Everywhere.

October 13, 2015 – Shelved
October 13, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
October 19, 2015 –
9.0% "This is not holding my attention. I will get back to it some other day..."
October 19, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
December 1, 2015 –
13.0% "This is my third attempt to read this book. Hopefully it will finally keep my attention."
December 2, 2015 – Shelved as: dnf

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by destini mia (new)

destini mia Sorry this was a bust, Lucia!! :(

message 2: by Lucia (new) - added it

Lucia Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie wrote: "Sorry this was a bust, Lucia!! :("

I was really excited about this novel so I am disappointed :/ *sigh*

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Sorry it didn't work out! Better luck on your next read!

message 4: by Lucia (new) - added it

Lucia Elizabeth wrote: "Sorry it didn't work out! Better luck on your next read!"

Thank you, Elizabeth!

message 5: by Jana (new)

Jana what a bummer :( time travel sounds indeed promising, but I guess that's kind of an example how average ratings most probably won't weigh in to your own liking/preference.

message 6: by Lucia (new) - added it

Lucia Jana wrote: "what a bummer :( time travel sounds indeed promising, but I guess that's kind of an example how average ratings most probably won't weigh in to your own liking/preference."

I was really looking forward to reading this book (topic time-traveling appeals to me) but execution was just so boring and impersonal :/

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more See, this is one of the books I've been on the fence about. If done well, it could be EPIC. BUT. Time Travel (ugh) and too many ideas, maybe?

Sorry it was a stinker, but that what DNF-ing is for ;)

message 8: by Lucia (new) - added it

Lucia Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads wrote: "See, this is one of the books I've been on the fence about. If done well, it could be EPIC. BUT. Time Travel (ugh) and too many ideas, maybe?

Sorry it was a stinker, but that what DNF-ing is for ;)"

Yep, it had potential to be epic. But it was just confusing and boring and... impersonal? MAYBE it got better later in the book, but I will never find out (22% were enough for me).