Melaslithos's Reviews > Nakamura Reality

Nakamura Reality by Alex Austin

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, thriller

I received a free e-ARC of this book in exchange for a honest review.

It has taken me quite some time to review this book, for different reasons. Firstly, because real life can sometime take its toll. But also because I don't really know where to start with my review.

Nakamura Reality is an interesting book. It's a nice thriller, but also more than that. While trying to unravel the mystery along with the characters, the reader also takes a plunge into their psyche, with all the mysteries and contradictions a mind can hold.

So let's start with the easy part, the storyline, first. The story advances smoothly and I quite liked the pace of it. We go from one point of the story to the other without being rushed, yet there is no undue lengthy parts. The suspense is present, and I must say that for once, I found the conclusion quite unexpected and different from other books of this genre. There is no sudden revelations, but the reader is lead slowly to the answer along with the main character, with small bits and pieces little by little fitting together. I quite like this way of doing.

I also found the characters mostly believable. They were complex, realistic, neither good nor bad. I'm not quite sure I like them totally, nor understand them, but that's also the interesting part of reading, discovering other points of views and ways of thinking. A few points did bother me, but I'll put it on the difference in characters between them and me. It's not because I wouldn't do some things or react in a certain way that everyone should.

Now, regarding the style. I really liked the fact that we were made to follow the story through two points of view, the one of the main character, Hugh Mcpherson, and the one of his father-in-law, Kazuki Ono. I also liked the fact that Kazuki Ono tells his tale through the book he is currently writting. But this is also were I had trouble with this book. For me, both version felt the same. I had quite some difficulties differentiating one from the other, until I came accross a name, which are different in the two versions. To the point it was sometime a bit confusing to me, not really knowing anymore which version I was reading. I think I would have liked a little bit more of a difference in style between the two versions. As far as I see it, Kazuki Ono is not Alex Austin, the author of this book, or at least should not. So I would have liked for him to have a different writting style than the rest of the book, to feel more different. But I do realize that it must be very difficult for a writter to adopt different styles. On this point, I might have been expecting too much of this book.

All in all, this is a good book that I enjoyed reading. The story is great, is well built and those are characters we can relate to, if not always like them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nakamura Reality.

October 12, 2015 – Shelved