Steph Sinclair's Reviews > Carry On

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Does this count as Harry Potter fan fiction? Sirius question.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carry On.

October 12, 2015 – Shelved
October 12, 2015 – Shelved as: st-martins-press
October 12, 2015 – Shelved as: interesting-little-creature
October 12, 2015 – Shelved as: glbt
October 12, 2015 – Shelved as: maybe-read

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

message 1: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee Hah, I see what you did there. xD Siriusly though, I'm not sure. I'm reading it soon. :)

message 2: by Liza (new) - rated it 1 star

Liza Oh HP humor. xD

message 3: by Steph (last edited Oct 12, 2015 06:22PM) (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair I can't put anything past you guys! Ha.

message 4: by O.R. (new) - added it

O.R. that's fanfiction of her fanfiction in her fiction based on harry potter fanfiction...?

message 5: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee fanfinception

message 6: by Clementine (new) - added it

Clementine MetaPotter

message 7: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Bieke {Istyria book blog} wrote: "fanfinception"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I LOVE THAT.

message 8: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee I didn't feel like I was reading HP fanfic. It still felt like its own story. :)

Alice I would say it does

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

YESSS!!! IT IS SO BAD!!! NOT EVEN FUNNY HOW BAD!!! https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Charleigh While it starts off kind of feeling that way, and you can definitely feel the Draco and Harry interactions, it evolves into it's own thing. On the surface, yes, it's simply a fanfic, but then you continue reading and you realize noooo it's NOTHING like Harry Potter hahaha

Ronna It's a fan fiction that was mentioned before in Fangirl

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Kind of. But it will neville compare with Harry Potter ;D

Vivian It Siriusly is HP fanfiction, and it feels kind of Ron that RR is making money off of it.

message 15: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily  Ashley Haberman I know! I couldn't finish it because it felt like a Harry Potter rip-off.

message 16: by Darleane (new) - added it

Darleane Pelicano I Siriusly thought the same thing. I can't quite stop comparing both

MeeMowsaa i think it was actually confirmed as a Drarry fanfic

message 18: by Author-ization (new)

Author-ization Are you siruis right now? Too soon.

message 19: by Stenedria (new)

Stenedria I love the HP reference!

Kayla When I started reading it I thought it was a spinoff of Harry potter but there is only minor similarities

Asia I see what you did there 😉

Kathleen Kuhn I'm only 18 pages in and I'm getting the same vibe. The first time I read Fangirl, I instantly thought Harry Potter.

Skyler Lightwood No this is not Harry Potter fanfic, although it is a spin off. All the characters, spells, and events are from the author, Rainbow Rowell's, own imagination. I'm being Super Sirius right now.

message 24: by Zoe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoe G the author intended this to be a kind of parody of the whole “chosen one” trope, and kind of built it off of that. it’s also a very character driven book, much like harry potter, so i can see how people can get those vibes from it. Personally, i thought that it was very similar to harry potter society wise, but at the same time, very different. the characters, relationships, and situations are very different to harry potter. make sense?

Chloe Person-Hoffer I think its a shameless Harry Potter fanfic with original characters but she did it well so I don't care

Casey Carry On really isn't Harry Potter fanfiction, even though many people think it is.

Maria I think it may seem like it, but it is really more a spin of age old tropes that were also used as templates for Harry Potter. The world and the characters are unique and different and especially towards the second half of Carry On, the story goes in a completely different direction. I believe seeing this as Harry Potter fan fiction means to ignore how much Harry Potter borrowed from age old stories and fantasy tropes. Just because Harry Potter is the most famous YA fantasy series playing on these tropes doesn't mean that other authors cannot used them anymore, that's just not how art works.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah ➖Goddess of Mischief➖ It's not fanfic, it's a parody

message 29: by Emily (new)

Emily uUUUUUuuuGH I hate this question. It's not a HP fanfic! While it has similarities, yes, it's definitely it's own book. Jesus Christ.

message 30: by Callyn (new) - added it

Callyn Langseth no, its nothing like it.

Ashlee definitely not. it has a similar broad layout, but it is completely different.