Dan Schwent's Reviews > The Passenger

The Passenger by Lisa Lutz

liked it
bookshelves: 2015

When her husband falls down the stairs and dies unexpectedly, Tanya DuBois cuts and runs, for she is actually a fugitive living under an assumed name. She switches identities several times but can she ever run from her past?

I got this from Netgalley.

I love Lisa Lutz's Spellman Files series dearly so I was pretty stoked to pick up her newest. It pains me to say it was a bit of a letdown.

The Passenger feels like a Lifetime movie to me. Tanya DuBuois is a woman on the run from a past that is only hinted at until the end. The marketing teaser makes is sound like she forms a Thelma and Louise partnership with Blue but Blue actually isn't in the book that much.

Eventually, Tanya/Amelia/whatever her name is hears that someone is writing a book about her and suddenly people aren't quite sure she should have been declared legally dead. Lutz achieves the paranoid feeling she's going for a few times. Otherwise, it's pretty unremarkable. I don't even know what genre to shove this in. It's marketed as a thriller but the thrilling bits are scattered pretty widely.

Still, it wasn't all bad. The last 20% kicked ass, once Lutz starting knocking down all the dominos she'd spent the rest of the book setting up. I loved the ending, complete with the unexpected metaphorical kick in the junk in the aftermath.

I'm giving this a three largely because of the ending but I wouldn't mind if Lutz stuck with Spellman novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passenger.

October 12, 2015 – Shelved
October 12, 2015 – Shelved as: pending
October 16, 2015 – Started Reading
October 17, 2015 –
October 17, 2015 –
October 20, 2015 –
October 20, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015
October 20, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

carol. Marketing is very, very bad on this one. She should have considered a pseudonym, for one, instead of connecting it to the Spellman, because the characters lack almost everything that made the Spellmans special. And you are right about Blue--very insignificant for much of it. Then, to call it a "thriller?" Fail.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent Carol. wrote: "Marketing is very, very bad on this one. She should have considered a pseudonym, for one, instead of connecting it to the Spellman, because the characters lack almost everything that made the Spell..."

A pseudonym would have been a good idea. I don't think any marketing could save this, though. "Come see the author of your beloved Spellman series disappoint you in a big way!"

If the main character hadn't been so passive (or uninteresting), this would have been a much better book.