Madigan McGillicuddy's Reviews > The Ugly Truth

The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney

Jan 17, 2011

Read in January, 2010

This was a very funny book, but perhaps not quite as funny as the rest of the series. Don't get me wrong! The Ugly Truth has plenty of laugh-out-loud moments. But, while the first four books had me roaring with laughter, erupting in guffaws, and frequently demanding to read aloud portions of the inspired insanity to anyone within earshot while gasping and trying to catch my breath, this latest offering only had me chuckling ruefully, or perhaps breaking out in a broad grin from time to time. I think part of the reason why this book didn't tickle my funnybone as much is because Greg Heffley is growing up. He's always been conscious of being a middle-school boy and a bit of late-bloomer, but this volume has him much more worried about when he's going to catch up with a lot of the guys in his class. There's less random hilarity in this volume, and more of a connected storyline, as Greg ruminates on his still strained friendship with Rowley, his uncle's upcoming wedding, his health class and school slumber party. Greg's obsession with getting more popular, and winning over girls in particular, continues to be charming.

I was surprised however, by how much he really didn't get it, in terms of Rowley. Greg has been a selfish friend over the years, but he doesn't see that at all. He just wants things to go back to the way they were, when Rowley put up with all of his abuse. Greg's bored demeanor with everything having to do with his family, and his disappointment at being treated like a little kid at his uncle's wedding (he was hoping to be a full-fledged groomsman, rather than an assistant flower boy) was pretty silly, and the highlight of the book, for me, was the school sponsored sleepover. Convinced he's going to be able to mingle with cute girls all evening, Greg eagerly signs up, but is sorely disappointed when it's mostly guys and their over-earnest teachers take away all of the kids cell phones and electronic devices when they refuse to socialize with each other. Predictably, the helicopter parents arrive to pick up their kids early, fearing the worst when they don't answer their text messages.

The blend of humor, and stick figure-like cartoons which convey so much emotion which are the hallmarks of this series are still here and Wimpy Kid fans won't be disappointed in this latest addition.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ugly Truth.

03/25/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Mia (new) - rated it 1 star

Mia How do you read them

Madigan McGillicuddy Mia wrote: "How do you read them"

As a book! You know, a regular, paper book.

message 3: by Gabriel (new) - added it

Gabriel Falcone You don't know what you are talking about

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Hi I am Jenny I love you babe you are so sexy

message 5: by Savio (new)

Savio Jamu This was a very funny book, but the author some times make it funny and some times sad. I liked all the characters of the wimpy kid because they are funny. The funniest character is Greg. Because he is some times funny and some times not. And also funny when he was a baby.

message 6: by Dashon (new) - added it

Dashon Dickerson how do u read the book to be honest

kemijah L slaughter What the check is wrote with you man...........no due it is BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

little jerry Stupid ass

Leeana goodmon u did really good explaining and I like that book and the series myself

Sydney Hensley How do you read the book

message 11: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel how do you guys or women read it how?

Leeana goodmon What u mean how we read it

message 13: by kush (new)

kush Well said, Madigan!

April Conner Like this book

target Carter By bothers rude in the Quran and sunset have. Some fun because

message 16: by Brianna (new) - added it

Brianna McDowell How do you guys read the book cause i cant find anywhere thats says to click to read the book

Broisyoyo hi im not sure if i read this book tell me what its about l
please

Broisyoyo wait never mind its the groomsmen uncle gary

Aidan I agree ☝️

message 20: by June (new) - added it

June I agree

message 21: by June (new) - added it

June lol

Sarah Presser How do you click, or where do you click yo read the book?

Sarah Presser To, I meant

message 24: by Joni (new) - added it

Joni I'm trying to transfer my digimon to Pokémon

Hadia How do I read the book

zechariah you are righting a little to much words

Jared S. Ginglen i think so to what one is your favorite