Chris's Reviews > Hardcore Zen: Punk Rock, Monster Movies and the Truth about Reality

Hardcore Zen by Brad Warner

Jan 31, 2008

bookshelves: japan, philosophy, religion

It's a book about Zen, obviously, from the point of view of an American who went from punk rocker to zen master over the course of many years. It's very different from most other zen books out there in that Warner doesn't try to affect the "wise and learned sage" voice in his writing. I imagine him more as a jittery skinny guy, chain-smoking cigarettes and telling you about the time he saw the entire history of the universe unfold around him in a dream.

Any book on Zen that quotes South Park, Philip K. Dick and Bart Simpson is a book worth reading.

Zen interests me, for many reasons, and a lot of them were addressed in this book. The idea that the past is the past and the future doesn't exist is one that I picked up years ago and has made life a lot less stressful. He does drift into the "We are all one" vein of Buddhist philosophy from time to time, which I'm still not entirely down on, but he's a lot of fun to read. Go give it a look.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hardcore Zen.

Started Reading
December 31, 2005 – Finished Reading
January 31, 2008 – Shelved
February 8, 2008 – Shelved as: japan
February 8, 2008 – Shelved as: philosophy
February 8, 2008 – Shelved as: religion

Amelia L He is a jittery thin guy with out the cigarettes.