Carol's Reviews > The Grass Is Singing

The Grass Is Singing by Doris Lessing

bookshelves: owned-book, south-africa

“It is by the failures and misfits of a civilization that one can best judge its weaknesses.”
-Author Unknown

****4.5 Stars**** I was shattered with the outcome of this novel. Disturbing. Unflinching. Compulsively readable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grass Is Singing.

October 12, 2015 – Shelved
October 12, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
October 21, 2015 – Shelved as: owned-book
October 21, 2015 – Shelved as: south-africa
November 20, 2016 – Started Reading
December 1, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Paula (new) - added it

Paula Kalin Carol, I haven't tried any Doris Lessing yet and am looking forward to.

Carol Paula wrote: "Carol, I haven't tried any Doris Lessing yet and am looking forward to."

I believe this is her first novel (I think). I just finished Homegoing, which was inspiring so this seemed fitting for next. Thank you for commenting, Paula.

Dolors Pithy, powerful review, Carol. You express my very same feelings for this disquieting book...

Carol Dolors wrote: "Pithy, powerful review, Carol. You express my very same feelings for this disquieting book..."

Thank you kindly, Dolors. I couldn't come close to writing a review about this book as brilliantly as you already have...so I didn't even try. :)

message 5: by Paromjit (new)

Paromjit Agree with you. Amazing novel, Carol. x

Carol Paromjit wrote: "Agree with you. Amazing novel, Carol. x"

Thank you, Paromjit!

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen This sounds great - I'm adding! Thanks Carol.

Carol Jen wrote: "This sounds great - I'm adding! Thanks Carol."

Thank you for stopping by, Jan. It's easy to find on used book sites. It's a very provocative but compelling story.

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol A review of few words that packs a punch. Will keep this in mind.

message 10: by Steve (new)

Steve Sounds a bit scary, Carol. I can imagine Lessing as a worthy recipient of your powerful response. From the short stories I've read by her, "unflinching" is the perfect descriptor.

Carol Thank you Carol and Steve. The escalating sense of foreboding was palpable as I read this short but powerful novel.

message 12: by Doug H (new) - added it

Doug H I like the sound of "compulsively readable" and I've always meant to try Lessing. Maybe her first one is a good place to start.

Carol Doug wrote: "I like the sound of "compulsively readable" and I've always meant to try Lessing. Maybe her first one is a good place to start."

It's short and far less complex than The Golden Notebook. I read that one years ago...probably way too early to even understand. :)

Thanks for commenting, Doug.

message 14: by Deanna (new)

Deanna ohhh this sounds good!!

Carol Deanna wrote: "ohhh this sounds good!!"

It's a compelling novel, Deanna. Thanks for commenting!

Robin You're right, Carol, this book is disturbing, unflinching and compulsively readable. I'm blown away!

Carol Robin wrote: "You're right, Carol, this book is disturbing, unflinching and compulsively readable. I'm blown away!"

I just read your beautiful review, Robin. Yes, the tension was palpable (and claustrophobic) in this powerful novel. I hadn't read a book that affected me in this way since I read Property by Valerie Martin. Thanks for commenting.

message 18: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary Carol, your review led me to pick this up from the library and it was amazing. It's only February but I'm sure it'll remain as one of the best books I read this year. Now I can't wait to get my hands on"Property".

Carol Gary wrote: "Carol, your review led me to pick this up from the library and it was amazing. It's only February but I'm sure it'll remain as one of the best books I read this year. Now I can't wait to get my han..."

What a lovely thing to say, Gary. Thank you kindly. I usually give away my books after reading, but I still have Property. I look forward to your thoughts on that novel as well.

message 20: by Iris P (new) - added it

Iris P Well your positive review and high rating certainly got my attention. Glad you enjoyed this Carol!

Carol Iris P wrote: "Well your positive review and high rating certainly got my attention. Glad you enjoyed this Carol!"

Thank you, Iris. I appreciate your comments! This one is a short novel and easily found in used book stores. I'd love to know your thoughts if you do read it.