Robin (Bridge Four)'s Reviews > The Silkworm

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

liked it

There are some things that I think this series has really got going for it. It totally has that old school detective story vibe going for it along with engaging characters and settings even the plots are really pretty good. This reminds me a little of a T.V. series though where the detectives solve a case an episode.

But will this story be for you? Well I guess that depends on a few things. There is something about Robert Galbraith’s (aka J. K. Rowling) that will forever feel a little bit like coming home for me. After all my time in the wonderful wizarding world of Harry Potter it is hard not to love the base of the writing involved no matter what the actual story is. Because there is a certain style and knack to telling the story that is inherent no matter what pseudonym is used. There are a lot of extra details about the many of the characters and some of them are really important to the story but others are just important to making the characters seem like regular people you might meet on the street.

I have enjoyed this series so far for a couple of reasons. The plot of who-dun-it is interesting and there are enough clues that you can figure it out along the way. I actually knew who the killer was really early in this book (mostly because of my job as a chemist) but still it is about the journey and even though I had figured out the who I enjoyed going about with Strike and Robin to figure out the why of it. The other reason I have liked the series is because of Strike and Robin. I like their dysfunctional relationships with other people, there slightly charged professional relationship, the way that they seem to understand a lot about the other without necessarily talking about it. They aren’t a couple and probably won’t be for a long time in the series but there is just enough there that I’m hoping it goes that direction later.

We have gotten a lot of details about Strike as a person so far. His failed off and on relationship that seemed incredibly volatile and the loss of his leg. I actually really love some of the details put in the story about this and how he struggles with some of his disability and tries to not let anyone see him vulnerable ever. I want to learn more about Robin and her past, why she left university and how the hell did Matthew land her because as far as I can tell most of the time he is a jerk.

A few of the best parts this mystery.

The excerpts from the actual fictional book in question. I’m not sure what genre that was supposed to be or if that is what they read regularly in England but they were part dream, part metaphor and downright strange. I don’t think I could read an entire book like that but it was cool to see snippets throughout the story.

Seeing Robin and Strike’s relationship grow and how both of them have a way of telling the other exactly how it is no filter sometimes. They have a pretty good friendship right now and mutual respect happening that is enjoyable.

The Client, she is a bit messed up and not necessarily a nice person but I liked that she seemed like a real person. She has a disabled daughter at home and a philandering husband and one friend in the world. She is doing the best she can and so if her responses are the social norm so be it.

A peak into this world of authors, agents and publishing houses. I really hope that this isn’t how it has been over the years for Rowling but it did make entertaining reading.

Overall

I was completely entertained and I enjoyed my time in this world. It isn’t the best mystery I’ve read but I do like all the extra details that are thrown in and I like feeling like I’m inside every part of the daily lives of Robin and Strike while reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silkworm.

October 11, 2015 – Started Reading
October 11, 2015 – Shelved
October 13, 2015 –
17.0% "“Fancourt can't write women,' said Nina dismissively. 'He tries but he can't do it. His women are all temper, tits and tampons.”\n \n Somedays I'm all Temper, tits and tampons too. But generally I'm more."
October 13, 2015 –
36.0% "WOW...the murder tableau was...\n \n wierd\n gross\n graphic\n ewe\n \n Bizarre to say the least."
October 14, 2015 –
50.0% "I'm pretty sure I know the who. But the how and why still working on."
October 17, 2015 –
80.0% "“We don’t love each other; we love the idea we have of each other. Very few humans understand this or can bear to contemplate it. They have blind faith in their own powers of creation. All love, ultimately, is self-love.”\n \n Fancourt you are a douchecanoe. Wow talk about a pompous asshole character."
October 19, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Markus (new)

Markus Great review, Robin. Considering reading these books to prepare myself for the second attempt I will have to make eventually.

Robin (Bridge Four) Markus wrote: "Great review, Robin. Considering reading these books to prepare myself for the second attempt I will have to make eventually."

Ah I listened to the audio and and Robert Glenister is really good so it wasn't a hardship for me. I read A Casual Vacancy thought and honestly the writing is good but I totally hated the story.

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* I second the audio!

Robin (Bridge Four) Yep the audio is really good. It makes it all the more special :)

message 5: by Ron (new)

Ron Audio narrator for Cuckoo's Calling is a real talent. I liked the way he switched up the accents. Is it the same guy for #2?

Robin (Bridge Four) Ron wrote: "Audio narrator for Cuckoo's Calling is a real talent. I liked the way he switched up the accents. Is it the same guy for #2?"

Yes!!! Totally the same guy. I think he does a fantastic job as the cast of characters is pretty big. Each character totally had a distinctive voice.

message 7: by Markus (new)

Markus Robin wrote: "Markus wrote: "Great review, Robin. Considering reading these books to prepare myself for the second attempt I will have to make eventually."

Ah I listened to the audio and and Robert Glenister is..."

Either I clicked this away somehow or got no notification. Sorry about that. But thanks, I'll check out the audio :)