Margaret's Reviews > Bright Blaze of Magic

Bright Blaze of Magic by Jennifer Estep

Oct 11, 2015

bookshelves: books-i-won-arcs

In Dark Heart of Magic, Lila Merriweather and her friends uncovered Victor Draconi’s plot to take over the town of Cloudburst Falls and destroy the other Families. She’s taking the black blades full of stolen magic from his hidden room and replacing them with fakes, so he can’t supercharge his soldiers. But even though the annual dinner for the Families does not go according to his plans, Victor is not so easily deterred. Lila and the rest of the Sinclair Family are in for the fight of their lives.

Bright Blaze of Magic doesn’t have any big reveals or introduce any new villains. It’s really just the resolution of the story begun in the previous book. But it’s such a fun resolution, full action and magic and monsters, and more of each one than ever before. This book is just action-packed! It seems that Lila is constantly fighting and I love to watch her wield her sword. She also gains a better understanding of her magic, which helps her in her ultimate battle. And I liked the way one monster in particular played a bigger role in the story.

I loved seeing Lila grow throughout the series. She returns to where her story began, both to the place where we met her in book one, and to the event that set her on her current course, the death of her mother. But she’s so much stronger now than she was before, partly because of the support of the friends she’s made over the course of the series. I liked the one new addition to the crew and the way that her story complements Lila’s.

I’ve really enjoyed the Black Blade series. Even if you don’t normally read young adult, I highly recommend it. It has everything I love about Jennifer Estep. Great action scenes, unique magic, and a reverence for Southern cuisine. I love looking for Estep Easter Eggs, like Lila’s Pork Pit t-shirt, and counting how many times the author mentions a title from the series. I’m satisfied with the way Lila’s story ended, though I would happily spend more time with her friends in Cloudburst Falls.

- See more at: http://vampirebookclub.net/review-bri...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Blaze of Magic.

October 11, 2015 – Shelved