Badass Bloggettes's Reviews > One Immortal

One Immortal by Tia Louise

This is my first book by Author Tia Louise, and I'm happy to say I've stumbled upon a new treasure gem. A fast read it might be, but One Immortal is also a wonderfully atmospheric tale about the power of love, friendship and hope.... with the right amout of scary, which makes it the perfect Halloween read.

Louise's writing style is amazing: it only takes the first few lines for you to 'see' her characters, the scenes and the settings so clearly in your mind and feel you have become part of that world. Her attention to detail in her descriptions appeals to all of the senses and it enriches an already great read; New Orleans becomes a character in its own right in this story, as do all the places these characters live in, as well as Cajun cuisine and subculture. The use of the alternate POV structurre doesn't prevent your reading from flowing seamlessly and it actually gives personal perspective and additional informations to the plot's events.

Despite their paranormal 'gifts', all the characters in the book are totally believable. Derek and Melissa, their friends, both shifters, mind readers, witches and voo-doo queens, make the most lovable bunch I've met so far in my literary world. Even the villains' badness is remarkable. How so, you may ask and my answer would be because the whirlwind of emotions and feelings they have to deal with in the brief span of time their story stretches over is all too human. Because of the characters' particular nature, Love and Hope, Friendship and Loyalty are severely put to the test but they come out victorious in all their glory.

I truly enjoyed One Immortal, it ticked all my right boxes (hot ex Marine turned PI, turned vamp-hunter; paranormal environment, white-hot, meaningful sex scenes, great secondary characters, the mysteries of voo-doo lore, unexpected plot twist) and left me with a huge grin on my face. In the first part of the book, the idea of a 'reluctant' vampire is totally refreshing. But then, in order to find a resolution to all of Derek and Melissa's problems, the story reverts to more conventional tracks and allows for a little dejà vu, a rerun of the Twilight movie. Truth be told, the vamp genre has been known for quite a long time now, and it gives very little room to variations on the theme.

The bad guys are destroyed eventually and Derek and Melissa find their own HEA. I believe that is not the end of their story, though... will an antidote to vampire venom ever be found? That is the lingering question we are left with, and I do hope there will be a sequel soon. Sooner.

***ARC received for an honest review***
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Immortal.

October 11, 2015 – Started Reading