Jeffrey Keeten's Reviews > Wraith

Wraith by Joe Hill

bookshelves: horror

photo bd717c5b-bd96-4fb7-a22b-42a0d4181ad2_zpslfuveu6p.png
Charles Manx III

I wouldn’t say I’ve been intentionally ignoring Joe Hill’s graphic novels, but...well...I have been. He trapped me like a fly in a Brown Recluse Spider web with this one because Wraith is actually a prequel to his outstanding novel NOS4A2. To entice me even further he tells the backstory of the diabolic, Christmasland caretaker, Charles Manx III.

Somehow it is so much more stomach churning to think that there were two other Manx’s before this one.

Manx drives a Rolls Royce Silver Wraith that is actually a key that takes him through a portal to the place he needs to be. In his case, that generally means he is taken to an abused child who needs to be separated from their parents. Manx induces the child to step into the Wraith and he spirits them away to Christmasland.

Are you getting warm and fuzzy feelings?

Dispel yourself of them.

You know how there are those signs up in towns that proclaim a sister city In Russia, or China, or Thailand? Well if Christmasland is the sister city to Disneyland than Disneyland is in Heaven and Christmasland is in Hell.

photo Christmasland_zpsrqbiyhgu.jpg
Christmasland

So if you see this guy...

photo Charles20Manx20Car_zpsrhvqxyui.jpg
...showing up with that car and that license plate. Run. Don’t stop for clothes, money, or the family pet just run like the devil is at your heels...because he is.

If you wish to see more of my most recent book and movie reviews, visit http://www.jeffreykeeten.com
I also have a Facebook blogger page at:https://www.facebook.com/JeffreyKeeten

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wraith.

October 10, 2015 – Started Reading
October 10, 2015 – Shelved
October 13, 2015 – Finished Reading
October 20, 2015 – Shelved as: horror

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Mir (new)

Mir I couldn't possibly leave my family pet; I'm counting on him to vouch for me to the supernal administrator.

Jeffrey Keeten Miriam wrote: "I couldn't possibly leave my family pet; I'm counting on him to vouch for me to the supernal administrator."

That is a good point. We all need someone to vouch for us when our stories don't make sense, but then that falls under mass hysteria. You and the Dog are delusional. :-)

I am left wondering how many people die a year trying to save the family pet in the face of their own eminent demise? A hoodlum is cutting down your front door with a chainsaw. Do you run screaming into the night out the back door or do you stop to try and find Fluffy first? A Tornado is crossing the field towards your house. Do you dive down the steps to safety or do you run through the house yelling Toto, Toto, where are you?

message 3: by Mir (new)

Mir Given that I live in an apartment and have no way to flee I haven't bothered pondering that. My usual approach is to shut the cat in the bathroom and stand by the door with a cleaver in hand while trying to get through to 911. When I had a large dog I kept him with me to assist in the home defense.

But hypothetically: I think I would try to find my pets unless there were clearly no chance of saving them.

Jeffrey Keeten Miriam wrote: "Given that I live in an apartment and have no way to flee I haven't bothered pondering that. My usual approach is to shut the cat in the bathroom and stand by the door with a cleaver in hand while ..."

I think the majority of pet owners would agree with you. Might look for the pet before they look for their kids. :-)

message 5: by Mir (new)

Mir Depends on how old and sensible your kids are.

message 6: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Nice review, Jeffrey. I had no idea that Hill had done a prequel for NOS4A2. Looking forward to picking this up!

Jeffrey Keeten Mike wrote: "Nice review, Jeffrey. I had no idea that Hill had done a prequel for NOS4A2. Looking forward to picking this up!"

Thanks Mike! I read maybe one graphic novel a year, but this one was a must read with the connection to NOS4A2. Interesting bit of book trivia on the British edition copy the title is NOS4R2. Are the Brits more correct than the Americans? With English language issues my money is almost always on the Brits. :-)

message 8: by Jeffrey (last edited Oct 21, 2015 12:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeffrey Keeten Sabah wrote: "Okay I've never read a graphic novel but I like the sound of this one. Great review Jeffrey ."

If you intend to read Joe Hill's book NOS4A2 then I would highly recommend reading this graphic novel. Hill is Stephen King's son by the way.

Geraldine Sánchez No this read.

Ernesto Alvarado One of my favorite horror comic books. Locke & Key is great, too.

message 11: by Jenbebookish (new) - added it

Jenbebookish Great review!

Jeffrey Keeten Ernesto wrote: "One of my favorite horror comic books. Locke & Key is great, too."

I haven't read Locke & Key yet, but I have them! Thanks Ernesto!

Jeffrey Keeten Jenbebookish wrote: "Great review!"

Thanks Jen!