Elizabeth Svigar Stephen's Reviews > Velvet Ball and the Broken Fairy

Velvet Ball and the Broken Fairy by Patricia Puddle

Jan 16, 2011

In this book, the plot centers around two characters - a little girl with alopecia, and a fairy who can't do magic. Both are bullied, both are feisty, and both stick to their guns. Both discover hidden powers within themselves that they never new existed - powers they never would have known about had they not crossed paths. The end comes with several twists and turns that I did not expect, and the author resolves the issue of whether Velvet should accept her baldness or rebel against it quite nicely.

The story takes place in a small town in Australia. Certain details are quite charming for a US reader like me, such as the appearance of native animals like butcher birds and kangaroos. The setting is well brought to life and the descriptions of the school remind me of my own elementary days. I love a strong female heroine, and this book offers two. Interactions between the two contribute to their wonderful character arcs. Conversation between them, and among the secondary characters, feels natural. I particularly like Velvet's surprising mother, who appears in the story in unexpected ways, and her father, who breaks the mold for the traditional masculine father. The author treats these characterizations gently, incorporating them into the plot in a natural way that I find charming.

This book is good for all readers, full of humor and enough gross-out details to charm any child or adult reader who enjoys children's books. Faced-paced and quirky, the author's style is firmly entrenched in Velvet's voice, making us feel as though Velvet wrote the book.

Highly recommended.

A wonderful read from start to its surprising finish. A fairy tale about a medical condition - what could be better?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Velvet Ball and the Broken Fairy.