Heena Rathore P.'s Reviews > The Killing Forest

The Killing Forest by Sara Blaedel

19253213

bookshelves: thriller, suspense, nordic-literature, mystery, crime, review-requests, netgalley

Note: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

"This is hell. No one gets out."

I read The Forgotten Girls by Sara Blaedel, not so long ago, and quite liked it. I was able to connect to the author's writing and the story was interesting, to say the least, so when I was contacted for this book, I immediately accepted.

The Killing Forest is the kind of novel that'll keep you up at night and would pull you into the story making you forget about the world outside. I really liked this book as it kept me intrigued. Like the previous book by author Sara Blaedel, there was not a lot to guess in this book, but the pacing was good enough to keep things interesting throughout. The author again shocked me towards the end with a smart plot twist.

The premise of the story was great and pacing was also good. The suspense was mild but I was able to feel a sense of urgency throughout the book (which is a big plus.)

The characterisation was good and I was happy to read about all the characters from the previous book in detail. I felt a connection with the main lead of the book, detective Louise, though it was not as strong as it felt in the previous book. Still, the story being the hero in this book, I enjoyed reading it.

The writing was good but I did notice 2 major flaws that made it difficult for me to come up with a proper rating for this book when I was done with it.

Firstly, there are a lot of places in this book where the translation played tricks and hindered the flow of the book. This issue wasn't there in the previous book so I was a little displeased this time around. The dialogues didn't feel real and, at more than a couple of places, I was left wondering what the hell was the original dialogue anyway.

And the second thing that bugged me was that there was more 'telling' than 'showing.' It happened in more than a dozen places and it really affected the entire reading process altogether.

But, in spite of these two flaws, I still enjoyed the book and would love to read the next parts in Louise Rick series. I'd recommend this book to crime and mystery lovers.

You can also read this review at The Reading Bud.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killing Forest.

October 10, 2015 – Shelved