Jon's Reviews > Heritage of Flight

Heritage of Flight by Susan Shwartz

M 50x66

it was ok

Bit of a mixed bag this book, it starts of excellently with some really good, thought through, detailed SF - A space battle, not unlike Battlestar Galactica (The modern version) in some respects, but more engaging technically.
Unfortunately the whole middle section of the book is 'wild frontier' stuff with virtually no real 'Sci' in it at all - you could imagine it being set in the Wild West or Australian Outback with few changes (Think 'Little House on the Prarie' for adults). There's a lot of examination on what it is to be human and what we could be capable of in extreme circumstances, but that's not what I really read SciFi for (or, at least, not on it's own). Even if you like this sort of thing, there's one crucial point where a decision is made with no way back, and you just keep thinking that I wouldn't happen like that. There seems to be no thought about other options or posibilities - It's not even mentioned that there could be other posibilities until near the end of the book, so you really lose the ability to identify with the characters.
The end of the book improves as it does return a little to SF, but there is still too much 'faffing' about rather than things actually happening. Too much time is spent on people thinking to themselves and agonising over decisions - you keep wanting to say 'Just get on with it!'. There is a little wondering how the situation is going to be resolved, but mostly I just wanted it to end.
Overall, not one for the Lads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heritage of Flight.

January 16, 2011 – Shelved