Ian's Reviews > Virtuous Scoundrel

Virtuous Scoundrel by Maggie Fenton

bookshelves: a-audiobook, b-five-star, g-historical, t-puppies-and-doggies

Sebastian Sherbrook is a scoundrel and a rake so it doesn't surprise anyone that on returning to England he is almost immediately called out by the father of a young woman who has found herself pregnant and without a husband.

Nobody believes his protestations of innocence and least of all the only woman he has ever loved. The woman he returned to England with the hope of courting. But with his reputation in tatters his slim hopes of wedding Lady Katherine disappear.

For her part, Lady Katherine has always loved Sherbrook but she is a fallen woman after being seduced by her music teacher at the age of 15. Her frosty demeanour is more about protecting her heart than anything else.

It is left to her closest friend the Duchess to use her wiles in the hopes of getting the two together, but with dognappers after Katherine's dogs, a Squire wanting to force Sherbrook down the aisle, a blackmailer, an elderly French toff, and their friends all meddling nothing is going to come easy.

Virtuous Scoundrel is a complete romp. It has the perfect blend of drama and farce and honestly it's a hoot from start to finish. Great fun and well worth the effort. Lovers of Regency Romance will love this book and I'm reasonably confident that anyone who picks it up will enjoy it. Don't need to be a woman, don't need to be a fan of historical fiction. It's that good.

Buddy Read with Christina.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Virtuous Scoundrel.

October 8, 2015 – Started Reading
October 8, 2015 – Shelved
October 9, 2015 –
0.0% "Looking at the 1 Star review on the first page of reviews and thinking to myself...Maggie Fenton must have pushed her over in the sand-pit when they were 2. \n And there is -1 2 Star ratings. How can there be a -1 rating?\n \n Oh well, back to the book, which is great fun BTW. Ignore that review down there."
October 12, 2015 – Shelved as: a-audiobook
October 12, 2015 – Shelved as: b-five-star
October 12, 2015 – Shelved as: g-historical
October 12, 2015 – Shelved as: t-puppies-and-doggies
October 12, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Christina ~ Brunette Reader Enjoy, Ian! :)
The start is promising and, as in the first book, I love those old-fashioned funny titles to the chapters.

Christina ~ Brunette Reader Wonderful review, Ian and glad you enjoyed it so much! :)

It has the perfect blend of drama and farce
Exactly, you nailed it. That's precisely what mostly the essence of Regencies (not HRs in general) consist of, from Traditional ones to the latest and I think MF has the talent to portray this very well, even improving from book 1, imo. See, like the Hyde Park or the drawing room scenes we were talking about, isn't so easy to imagine them playing out on a stage? Often with good Regencies there are parts and banters that always give me the impression of having a sort of "theatrical" quality to them, reminding me of those old-fashioned comedies of manners or, as you said, farces. At least it is like this for me.

And thanks for buddy-reading it with me, Ian, it was fun! :)

message 3: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Christina ~ Brunette Reader wrote: "Wonderful review, Ian and glad you enjoyed it so much! :)"

Thank you C.