Shannon (BookCrushin)'s Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Jan 16, 2011

it was ok

The saying don't judge a book by its cover should apply to this book. I was intitially drawn to this book based upon the beautiful and striking cover. Then the description sealed the deal, a dystopian love story set on a ship in space? Sold. However, the cover and the description were entirely deceptive. This book was not a love story, far from it. It was a a disturbing meditation on the corruption of power and the disturbing means to which one man will go to manipulate and control his small floating empire. This book literally made me feel claustrophic. When the main character Amy wakes up 50 years to early from her frozen cryo holding tank you cannot help but feel her overwhelming helplessness and suffication. Especially, when she realizes her life now resides inside a floating city pumped w/recycled air and containing animals, food, and people that aren't quit "right". While the story was intriguing and the premise was unique I couldn't help but continually be frustrated. The other main character, Elder, has an immediate fascination with Amy but beyond that there is only the faintest hint of any pending romance. I'm starting to tire of every new YA book being turned into a series. The book was left mildly open-ended so I'm assuming there will be a book two, however, I just don't know if I have the patience to wade through another cloying story that was really a sci-fi mystery in paranormal romance clothes.

January 16, 2011 – Shelved
May 3, 2011 –
page 162
May 8, 2011 –
page 200
50.13% "This book is frustrating! 200 pages in to a 323 page book & the romance still hasn't begun! What a deceptive cover & description."
May 10, 2011 –