Sarah's Reviews > Mélusine

Mélusine by Sarah Monette

liked it

I struggled with this one some. I liked the two characters, and I particularly liked the way the author used Felix's POV once he was insane, but holy crap it needed a plot. Where were they going? What were they doing? How were they going to meet each other? Was the book description EVER going to happen? There were things that were happening along the way and each time we got a little more insight into the characters but there just didn't seem to be any point to the story. Ironically, about 250 pages in, one of the characters echoed my thoughts (He read my mind! He's fictional , Sarah) and then finally finally finally Things Started Happening.

Overall it was an interesting story and I am glad I stuck it out those pages. I wouldn't recommend this to someone because I was quite exasperated at times. However, for people who really love character oriented stories and don't care if there's a point, this is a great novel for that. Both characters, Felix and Mildmay, are interesting characters and I really liked them. I won't be reading the other three books though.

As a warning, there's a violent gay rape in this that is difficult to stomach. Use caution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mélusine.

October 8, 2015 – Shelved
October 8, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
December 20, 2015 – Started Reading
December 20, 2015 –
page 32
December 21, 2015 –
page 205
48.69% "End of Part One (and very little has happened)."
December 22, 2015 –
page 345
December 23, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Robyn Done already!

Sarah Yep. It went pretty fast for me.

Robyn It's so funny, because for me this books has tons of things happening and plot aplenty but at the same time I can totally see it from your view too, because your review is essentially how I felt about the Goblin Emperor (though I'd go so far as to say that it never picked up) but everyone else seemed so content with the plot!

Robyn That doesn't make a lot of sense - I'm half-asleep, but anyway. I won't try and fix it.

Sarah Lol :) Honestly, The Goblin Emperor doesn't really have a plot! It's just events surrounding Maia, like this is events surrounding Felix and Mildmay. I really don't know why The Goblin Emperor sucked me in so much and I kept trying to figure it out while I was reading it. I never did but I got really hooked on that one for no apparent reason... I liked the characters in this and I loved the descriptions of how mad Felix was perceiving the world because it was accurate even if it wasn't real. But GOD it was boring at times. Around page 250 even Mildmay said "I need to know what we're doing and where we're going". It was hilarious.